icon

CD Changer connection to Head Unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sellmerch 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
I recently replaced the Head Unit on my 200 Ford Excursion with a Clarion DXZ 925. Being very new to installation of audio components I brought the truck to my local Car audio shop to complete the connections and also to connect the Factory CD Changer to this Clarion DXZ 925. The Dealer tells me that I can not use the Factory CD Changer at all with the Clarion Head Unit, but he had some changers that will work with the head unit (Clarion only??) Has anyone else been through this and is it true that I can not use my Factory Changer with the Clarion Head Unit, or is this a ploy to get me to spend xtra dollars (Ive allready spent close to $3000 on other upgrades audio/video and alarm with this dealer) If I can hook up Factory changer to my Clarion please give me details on how to accomplish this.  Also the Excursion has rear seat audio controls from factory, is there any way to use these controls with the Clarion Head Unit. Thank You
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know Clarion HU's well enough to tell you which changer setup it uses, nor have worked on the excursions. I think so others will be able to help you out a little more if they have specific install experience with these components. I DO know however, that there is a good chance that the factory changer and the Clarion's controller are different bus connections, and not compatible. It IS entirely possible, so don't rule out the dealer too quickly. Also, I'm not sure if you'll be able to use the remote connections. You would have to have a HU that can has a wired remote and have the in car remote be the same, or have your installer build some sort of electronics to make it work. I DO think that it would be possible with some head units (a Sony with wired remote comes to mind), but it would take extensive install work I think. It's up to you and your installer to decide whether it's feasible to try it. Good luck, I hope others can be more specific.
/NyxBass
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

Unfortunately, CD changer control setups vary from brand to brand, even in the aftermarket.  Your Clarion radio will only control a Clarion changer......not a Pioneer, or an Alpine, or a Ford, or a Toyota..et cetera.  That's not to say it's completely impossible..........you could always hire an engineer to try to figure out a way, but that's likely to cost far more than a Clarion changer!

If the Clarion has an infrared (wireless) remote control, there are adapters that may allow you to use the rear-seat Ford controls.  http://www.go2pac.com/flash1024v2.html is probably the most popular example.

Does the Clarion have some particular feature you need?  Personally, I wouldn't put an aftermarket radio in my car unless it was absoultely necessary.......you might search eBay and find an upgraded Ford radio that has the features you want, but will still control your changer.

crraig wilson 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
I have worked on 30 or so excursions sorry to say you will have to buy a new clarion changer...the changer protocall varies changer to changer. the clarion head unit is far better than any factory unit
craig wilson
sellmerch 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2002 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys for the help. I guess after spending around 3K to do the Audio/video system in this truck another couple hundred isn't going to kill me. Anyone out there in need of a ford factory CD changer ;-) . THanks again
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2002 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

I can't tell you anything about the rear controler.

If you were to get the wireing schematic of both the changer buss cord and the changer input for the HU you can then patch one into another.  I have done this before many times with many brands.  I am proud to say that with my fosgate HU I have controled Alpine, Clarion, and Kenwood changers this way.  Just for fun.

(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic