icon

What is a good mold release wax?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
What is a good mold release wax to use when doing a mold with fiberglass? How much does the stuff run in a normal size amount?(something a light installer would us, not a proinstaller) where can i get it? I just am going to be doing a bunch of molds, and I will need the wax, or something that would be good! Thanks for the help! I love the 12 volt!
Duke Duke
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
WD-40 lol, well it works if thats what ur asking, just lay down ur aluminum foil, then tape over that, then soak the take in WD-40 and VIOLA! no sticking to tape! Well, it works for me so thats my $399838472.12
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
DukeDuke 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 2:32 AM / IP Logged  
but the glass will still stick to the WD?
Duke Duke
bluetruck 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  
i have heard liberal amounts of car wax will work but i have never tried it myself.
bluetruck 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  

sorry to repost but i think xtream thinks you are just making a mold of your trunk or something not making several identicle pieces from a F/G mold (my take on your question). xtream is a smart guy, but i think maybe sometimes he doesnt pay attention to details (like propper spelling of his own name) i hope this clears up why he was refering to tape and foil.

PS: xtream, i am just joking, i know sarcasm is often lost on the net but i was just giving you a hard time, i know you have skills!

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

Hey man I found this on the net with a google search, may or may not be what you're looking for

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Mold+Releases-23.html

Also, found this stuff made by meguiars that is a wax release agent http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/ak/Epoxy/Polyester_Resins/Mold_Release_Wax_fam/

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
DukeDuke 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
Well, what I will be doing is making some kicks first off. And, I will tape off, foil, and then I thought you were supposed to lay a mold release wax down before you lay the glass. If I am incorrect, please correct me. I knew the foil in nonporus, so I knew it wouldn't go through the foil, but I thought it would still stick to it... Please correct me if I am incorrect. Help a brother out! Thanks guys!
Duke Duke
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
"xtream is a smart guy, but i think maybe sometimes he doesnt pay attention to details (like propper spelling of his own name) i hope this clears up why he was refering to tape and foil."
No sh*t... lol.
"What is a good mold release wax to use when doing a mold with fiberglass?"
I took that to mean that he was making a mold like as in what he said, making kicks. It will stick to the foil, thats why I said that u need to use tape and soak the tape in WD-40 because the tape is porris and will absorbe the WD, the WD will then prohibit the resin from sticking to the tape since the tape is saturated in oil. Make more sense now?
Peace out ya'll
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
I posted some links for you duke, up above your last post.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
bluetruck 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

lol, guess you were right xtream *opens mouth, inserts foot*. it doesnt matter if the tape sticks because its the back of the kick, no one sees it but you. here is the Ryan Method- tape off the kick pannel area, foil it, tape the foil down (a big sponge (dry) is great to get the foil to lay flat on curves, then slap on some resin and go to town with glass and resin. good luck bro.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic