icon

Amp Flickers Then Shuts Down

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wodricde 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I have a Kenwood KAC-7201 and I am installing it into my 2002 Silverado with the stock head unit. I used a Line Output to connect my RCA's up to the amp. I have everyhting set up correctly, turned the gain to the min. and fired it up. The protection light flashes and then the amp blows fuses. The power wire doesn't blow a fuse though. I have connected the ground wire in 3 different places now, each time scraping to get bare metal. I have powered it up without the RCA's connected to see if it was a RCA problem and the amp still flickers and shuts down. This sounds like an internal issue doesn't it? When I took the amp out of my old truck it worked fine. I threw it into my Silverado the same day and boom, doesnt work. Please let me know if Kenwoods are notorious for this, or what other problem I might be having. Thanx
Doyledee 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
Check the amp with the speaker wires disconnected... If it still blows fuses , I would say it is an internal problem... If it doesn't, sounds like a sub or the wire got shorted (possibly by a screw through the wire)....Hope it helps....and had no problem with Kenwood amps....I still have a  Kenwood model 502. Had it for many years though many cars....
97 Sebring Jx convertible
1500 RF amp with 2-10" Lanzar subs
2005 suzuki Katana 600
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

Where is your remote turn on lead tied into the vehicle. It would be real simple to take the amp out and test it on a power supply also, to see if the amp is defective.

Jazzy

wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
almost all chevy truck have bad grounds, so you might have to check your grounds when you find the problem, this will help you get the most out of your amp.  As for your problem look for a short,  or bare wire touching metal
wodricde 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 5:07 AM / IP Logged  
Where would I look for this short, I just installed all the wiring yesterday and when I installed it, everything was in mint condition. Which wires would be shorted?
wodricde 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged  
Hello, my remote turn on lead is connected to a green wire at the stereo that has no power when turned the truck is turned off but has power when the truck is turned into the ON or ACC possition. So this would work as a turn on lead wouldn't it. I read in another forum though that the GM radios do not have a switched 12+v at the back of the radio, and that the turn on lead has to be wired to the ignition harness. Is this correct, why would that cause my amp to blow fuses though. Please get back to me im stumped.
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  
To look for a chort for know look at the power wire trace it down again and just look at it for nics, take your rca's, and your speaker wire of the amp and turn it on, see if the amp still flickers, If not turn off - add rca,s then turn back on and so on till you find which is making it flicker. make sure you have the line out put nice and tight and wired properly
wodricde 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  
Alright problem solved took my amp apart to look at the board, sure enough there is a part where the board had blown. It blew the board coating all over the back panel, and it was real stinky lol. So is it poosible to get this fixed?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic