icon

Hood pin switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kosoku 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
If you have a remote start or alarm that uses a hood pin switch, can you post a picture of where you mounted the switch? I installed my RS without one but one of these days I'd like to install it.
I'm having difficulty figuring out where / how to mount it in my 03 mazda pickup (same as a ranger).
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

put the hood pin where it's not going get hit if somone's doing work under the hood and also where it's going to catch your hood, if you have to make a "L" bracket with a hole to fit your hood pin switch and bolt it to the side of your fire wall, i've always been told one of the better place's to mount the pin switch for a remote starter is at the back of the engine bay. there nothing hard to install, just look for a deicent flat spot where you oculd mount a bracket or drill through to mount you pin, run your wire, and there ya go ( just make sure there's no wires or cables under the metal where you drill...drills and live wires don't mix Hood pin switch - Last Post -- posted image.)

3forty7 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
you could also use a mercury switch, i like a hood pin better but a mercury switch can do the job as well. 
Jschult3 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

If your car has a light under the hood it most likely is controlled by a mercury switch that given if you have the time and and know how you could interface the neg trigger with. When you install a hood pin trigger it tends to rust and stand out. What you would do is probe the 2 wires and determine which one is constant and which one is triggered by the movement of the hood. If it's negative attatch your alarm's neg trigger to that lead.

Jeff

Jeff
Always Verify Wire information before Connecting! Just a Darn Good DIY'R
kosoku 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
My truck didn't come with that feature unfortunately. Could I find a "mercury switch" from another vehicle at a junk yard and use it? I'm particularly worried about the pin switch that came with my unit rubbing the paint off my hood over time and allowing rust.
gtchida 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
DDexter 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
It is recommended to have the switch installed as close to the front as possible.  This way the alarm would trigger with the smallest openning angle of the hood possible.
OmarR 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

DDexter wrote:
It is recommended to have the switch installed as close to the front as possible.  This way the alarm would trigger with the smallest openning angle of the hood possible.

I second that.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic