icon

viper 791xv, 96 civic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
andherlaughter 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
so basically i want to hook my viper 791xv up to my 96 civic....i found wiring diagrams and have gone through install instructions, but im sure im going to have a million questions... but i figure my only way to learn is to just start working on it to see what i can figure out....
but i do have a few questions first....
1) is there anything i should know first before i start not to do or to make sure i do so that i dont screw up my car bad.....
2) im confused on relays and their usage and how many i will be working with in my install...
3)door actuators are going to need to be installed before the alarm and everything else...any tips??
4)i'm gonna have to do this on a manual tranny so i dont want to f**k anything up while doing the install....any words of advice?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  

1st off, get a GOOD digital multi-meter.

Read on this site about "relays"

So, your car does NOT have power door locks stock?

Im not familiar with the viper product, make sure you can SAFELY install it into a manual trans car, you dont want to run a child over cause you forgot if your car was in gear!

Your clutch override is a NEG(-) blue and black

GOOD LUCK and Be very safe!!!

andherlaughter 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
correct, my car does not have power door locks at all....
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  

This alarm is not reccomended for a manual transmission!!!!!!!! It is extermly dangerious to yourself and others. All it takes is that one time that it is left in gear and goodbye.

If it is a must, I am not familiar with viper products myself but just installed one in my truck on sunday. I am an experanced installer and it took me 6 full hours to comlete the task. It is a very through alarm and takes time.

MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
Jschult3 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

Viper makes some great products but they don't recommend manual transmissions. If you are going to install it you should consider looking at the car's wiring manual a little closer. Look to see you can tap into the parking brake line with the BLACK/ white stripe wire from one of the secondary harness's. 2nd, look to see if you can add some type of magnetic switch to your gear shifter so when the shifter is in 1st gear it opens a circuit and would prevent the starter from even cranking. I know my Sub 04 WRX actually has a neutral switch similiar to this setup. I wired yhe parking brake wire in series with the neutral switch, diode isolated both, and connected them to the BLACK/ white wire from the secondary harness. So in conclusion my auto start doesn't work unless the car is in N and the parking brake is applied.

Jeff
Always Verify Wire information before Connecting! Just a Darn Good DIY'R
andherlaughter 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
i've been working on this install and i've discovered my car doesnt have a hood pin.....
what kind of problem does this create and what do i do to fix it
jaurora 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 7:01 AM / IP Logged  
The 791 comes with a supplied hood pin. Find a spot for it and drill the hole I am unsure on the whole size but the manual will tell you. Use commen sense when drilling. You may already have a hole predrilled so serch around. These usally end up on the hood sill or the radator support.
Jeremy
jaurora 
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  
I myself dont use a hoodpin, I know its not good practice, but my truck is the only exception, on all my installs I use a hoodpin, but because I like to work on the perfomaance of my engine it is very helpfull to me to be able to start the vehicle when I am under the hood and all by myself.
Jeremy
Jschult3 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  

I don't use the pins on my own vehicles either. The only exception is on ym 04 WRX because it's a manual. It would really suck if I RS after an oil change and it ran me over.

Jeff
Always Verify Wire information before Connecting! Just a Darn Good DIY'R
andherlaughter 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

alright so i basically have the majority of this bad boy hooked up, but as i'm testing it out i have a few problems

1)my first problem is whenever i arm the alarm, the indicator displays a flashing door for a second or two then goes away......is this normal??? or is there some wiring i need to change?

2)when i tried to learn my tach signal it says in the manual to start the car with the key, then press the valet switch and hold within 5 seconds of turning on the car......it didnt work......i held it for a while and there was no blinking led......did i screw something up?

3)my remote start doesnt work!!!!!!!.....i tried engaging it, but all it does is: all my accesory lights flash and turn on for a second, but no remote start......it sounds like it wants to do it, but the engine never cranks......what wire did i screw up????

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic