2000 5 speed diesel beetle remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
r3dline 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 5:00 AM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone,
After a lengthy time of searching the forum and digging around I’ve decided to ask some questions about my upcoming install.
I currently have a 2000 5speed diesel beetle.
I want to install a remote starter into it but I have some questions regarding my choice of hardware and features.
What I would like to know is
1)     The choice of hardware I’m looking at is a scynet galazy 5000rs 2 way pager system.
Does anyone have anything good and or bad to say about this unit? Is it worthy product or is it a pile of you know what.
2)     I’m rather positive I will need to get some sort of bypass for the current factory “alarm” system ( not much of an alarm if it doest’ go off when the car is hit) in order for the car to remote start. But Must I have one or can I simply disable the pointless alarm that VW put into this abysmal excuse for a car.
3)     I’m rather fond of my current key fob. The switch blade is very nice and I would love to keep the current functions of the key fob working after the alarm/remote starter is installed. Is this possible? If so Can I also use the key fob to remote start the car somehow? Yes I’m rather familiar with the fact that I will get about 5ft with it but I would be nice if this was possible.
4)     Now here is a very nagging question I have since my last remote starter in my last car. Is there any possible way to allow me to re-enter my car after it has shut down without it re-starting the engine back up? My last starter provided me with a huge annoyance that whenever I needed to re-entered the car I had to either start the car up again or have it get turned off. Is there any way to get around this? I’m the only driver of my car and was seriously thinking of perhaps installing a remote starter for an auto tranny to get around this entire ordeal. Is there any sort of sensor to install around the shifter that can determine if it’s in neutral or in gear? Or would I be better off with an auto remote starter(yes I know the risk of it starting up and driving down the road on its own and the clutch bypass etc)
5)     Turbo timer, I’m confused. The details indicate to me that the way this system work is that I simply have to apply the parking break and get out of the car. It will keep running for 2 mins on it’s own. Now would this put me into remote start mode as well? If so this would be a very uber cool feature.
6)     Window rollups. I suppose this simply works off an aux channel and requires an additional module from someone else. Is this even possible with this unit? Not a big question just a confirmation. Not even sure if I care enough about this feature or not
7)     Does anyone know of a local dealer of this unit in the Toronto area or I’m I still better off with an eBay. I’ve never been let down with an eBay buy yet. 
Well that’s all I can think of for now. Any help what so ever would be great.
Thanks everyone.
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  

1) Stay away from that unit. My friend bought one and I installed it. It lasted about a month and crapped out. If you are going to use a 2way alarm/rs here are the best two options! 1) Viper 791xv, this is a top notch 2 way alarm/rs.2) Prestige APS-996, this alarm is also of good character. It has alot of options and a little cheaper on the wallet than the viper.

2)This car has what is called a transponder theft system. You will need a bypass kit to bypass the transponder. Note that with the transponder, you will need to loose a key from your car to go into this bypass box.

3)You will not be able to use your current key to operate the alarm/remote start. You are getting a 2 way why would you want to use your regular key.

4) these systems will allow you to do so.

5)These systems act different with the turbo timer.

6)DEI makes a window module. The module is approx $80 - 100 USD

*NOTE* This is a 5 speed car. It is not reccomended to put a remote starter in it. You can cause serious injury to youself and others. All it takes is that one time that it is left in gear and goodbye.

MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
r3dline 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
my last car had a remote starter and was a 5speed too. never had a single problem. I perhaps park it in gear only when i'm doing work on my car. at that point I usualy disabled the remote starter.
as far as alowing me to get back in without starting the car and still be able to remote start it agian later wihtout a reset how is that possible?
my last remote starter was set in the maner that you had to get in and have the engin running. hit the start button take the key out get out of the car close the door. hit arm and it would sh*t down.
then the only way to get back in was to disarm the alarm and open the door. but as soon as I do you can't remote start the cara once the door is closed again. to restart the car I would have to re-start the engin.
OR
I would remote start it, disarm the alarm. get in do what I neded to do. get out and re-arm the alarm and it woiuld shut down.
in both cases the engin would have to be restarted in order to remote start again later.
I would like to be able to get back in without starting it up grab what I need, close the door and an ohur later still remote start from 100' away.
sorry don't want to sound like i'm crazy it's just an annoyance because i'm in and out of the car alot and I dont' know if i'm going to be away for an hour or back and forth and I hate having a remote starter that does't work.
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
This is just a thought regarding being able to open the door and not cause the unit to exit ready mode. I don't recommend this, but I also understand your annoyance of not being able to reenter the vehicle. So here it goes: you could leave the passenger door unmonitored, so if you wanted to get back in, you could use the passenger door. This way you are fairly safe. There is not much chance of you bumping the shifter into gear. Like I said it is not recommended. I just always start the car on my way out so I don't disturb the ready mode.
The only way you could use your switch blade keyless entry transmitter is if you got a unit that had an external trigger input wire that could be programmed to require three pulses to activate. Then you would connect your lock wire to this and press lock three times to triger the remote start. There are only a few units that are capable of this, and i can't think of oneoff the top of my head. But since the factory transmitter will likely be on the same key ring, there isn't much point anyway, but I would want the same thing if it were my vehicle.
By the way, do you know you have to remo ve the steering wheel to access the screws that are securing the steering column shroud? That's quite the install you have in front of you. Have fun and good luck.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
jazzy95tsi 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
A long(8in) #1 phillips is all you need and then the steering wheel does not have to come off, same for all VW's.  Just in case anyone who might read this cares. 
Jeff 2000 5 speed diesel beetle remote start - Last Post -- posted image.
r3dline 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  
thank you for your input.
I did't think about not monitoring the pass door.
but what about when the door is actualy opened by someone who is breaking into my car? would the alarm still go off?
I guess I still need to ask more dumb questions.
I know it's a large install ahead of me.   1 of 3 to install.
after this I need to attack a 2000 diesel dodge ram and then a motorcycle. the motorcycle is more or just just for kicks. I have an alarm/remote starter I found for dirt cheep. :) can't beat $50 just because the box was torn up.
this forums 0wnes large.
thank you for all your help guys.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
1) You should stick to something more reputable/name brand-ish..... think Compustar or Viper.
2)Do you like to disassemble vehicles? It's a VW, and you've got lots to take apart
3) As far as the anti-theft goes..... there's two parts to it. One is a quasi content anti theft.... you need to unlock the doors before theignition turns on (disarming the content security) then lock it after crank. The second part is the RFID pellet that's in the key. You will be giving up the service key (non-switchblade). You will then require a DEI part# 556U (you can do it with other key in box antenna systems, but the DEI one allows you to wire right into the factory immobilizer wiring. No futzing around with antenna placement.)
4) No window module required.... find a way to lengthen the lock and unlock pulses. When you use the key in the driver's door cylnder, you will notice that holding it in thelock or unlock position will also roll the windows up and down. This is precisely what you haveto duplicate.
5)This is not a good DIY car as far as a starter goes... 85% of shops hate doing VW's as well.
6)You are going to have to start the car to re enter.... no way around it. There's safety features built into a manny tranny starter that are there for a reason. One of the slight disadvantages, I guess.
I'm not trying to discourage you from doing this install intheleast, I am just making you aware of the more interesting challenges presented by this vehicle. For an example. In our shop, I specialize in VW's.... I really like working on them, I am on my second TDI myself, I like VW's. It also takes me almost 4 hours to do a Beetle Standard TDI, and I have done a lot of them. You willneed the better part of a day..... if everything works right the first time. A good multimeter and solid understanding on how things are timed on the remote starter itself is also necessary (what to pulse when and for how long)
Havefun!
Gus
PS: Seeing as the factory fob has a whopping 30 feet of range on a good day, it is not a very good candidate for triggering a remote start.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic