icon

Passlock problem with PATSK-350

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Duke Orr 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  

I installed a ProStart CT3200 with a PATSK-350 bypass module for the passlock 2 system in my 99 Sierra truck last week.  The remote start worked fine (once I set the DIP switches correctly in the PATSK module) until yesterday.  The remote start doesn't work anymore and, to make matters worse, it locks the system out for about 10 minutes so you can't even start it with a key!

The passkey system appears to be keeping it from starting and I expect that the PATSK-350 is NFG, just wondering if others have had this same problem.  I expect that I will have a hard time trying to return the module to Canadian Tire and, to say the least, I'm not very happy.

Is there  a diagram available to allow me to build my own "module", I expect that it can be done with a relay and resister?

Thanks!

Duke

I should have known better
Craig3708 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

Duke, I use the modules all the time and have had very little problem. Do you hane the ground out when running wire hooked to the bypass from remote start?? Its a white wire from CT3200 and a Violet wire on the Patsk 350. If this is all ok try this,

1)Find the resistance value from your truck,

2) then start the truck with the key

3) press the start button(2) on remote and remove key from truck

4) on hook the PATSK-350 from Passlock wires

Now take the DIM and hook to the orange and grey wire, and set the dip switches, starting at the end and working backwards. You will find that you will get a closer match to the resistance. If this dosen't work Canadian Tire sells a self learning module. Is has a one wire hook up that taps into the data wire in the service plug on the truck., its $52.00.(GM-T100).

Good Luck

Craig.

Duke Orr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

Craig,

Thanks for the reply, I haven't started to troubleshoot yet as I was hoping to hear from someone who has similar experience.  It could be something pretty simple (like a fuse) and I am hoping to tackle it this weekend. 

I was carefull to follow the instructions provided with the starter and the module along with the guidance I found on this site in regards to the location of the wires.  I assume it was connected properly since it worked great for 1 week!

The one puzzling thing is that, when I first installed the bypass module, I had the dip switches flipped the wrong way (the ones that were to be on were off and vice versa).  Of course the remote starter wouldn't work because the passlock system kicked in and shut it down immediatley after starting BUT I could still start the truck right away with the key with no delay.  When the problem happened on Sunday night when my son had the truck out (of course) he couldn't get it to start with the key until after the truck sat for a bit.  I now know that this is a characteristic of the passlock system but I am confused as to why I could start it with a key when I first installed the module right away?

Once I check the fuse and the wiring on the weekend I'm going to try the dip switches set for the next closest setting to the measured value and see if that works (my measured resistance was almost exactly 1/2 way between two settings).  Other than that I guess I'm looking at a another bypass module :(

Duke

Craig3708 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

Duke, the reason it started with the key for you was because it was only the second time you tried to start it. The passlock system will let you try to start a couple of times before it goes to lockout (most of the time). I assume your son had tried a couple of times with the remote before he tried the key...

Craig.

Duke Orr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

Craig,

You are correct, sonny tried the remote starter that, by default, tried 3 times.  I interrupted the process when I was doing the initial install after it had tried once.  One mystery solved!

Thanks,

Duke

Craig3708 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

Duke, I forgot to mention that I have had the plug work out of the bypass module before and all systems failed. So from now on I zip tie them in place.

CRAIG...

supershark 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Duke,

I had three PATSK 350 come back on me.  They were installed about a year before failure.  The PATSK 350s are resister based with dip switches and the resistance values can 'drift' a bit.  As someone mentioned earlier, best to install a self learn module.

Kevin

Duke Orr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Guys,

I greatly appreciate the advice and thought I should post an update.  I started troubleshooting the problem on Sunday, checked for voltage at the PATSK 350 module first and found it was ok.  I then set the dip switches to the next closted value of my measured resistance as the value was almost exactly 1/2 way between two settings.  I tried the starter and it worked like a charm and has continued to work so far (knock on wood).  I fully expect that this isn't the end of the problem and that it will return to haunt me but, I'm hoping, the temperature will be above -40 when it fails the next time since my garage is currently without heat and it gets pretty darn cold in Sault Ste Marie!

Thanks again,

Duke

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic