WinISD or Mfg suggested enclosure?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
GSR Jay 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all.

Thinking that I was doing a friend a favor by designing him a box with WinISD, I've come across more conflicting and confusing data. I'm using a Clarion ProAudio PXW1242, (see attached image for spec sheet) and WinISD tells me that a box volume of 3.5 ft^3 with a 4"x16.85" port is needed to smooth out the gain curve allowing this sub to hit 21.5 Hz before running out of 'oomph'. Is this box size too big for a 12" sub?
The manufacturer suggests a 1.84 ft^3 with a 4"x16" port! This curve looks horrible when plotted by the program.
Space requirement in the vehicle isn't an issue as he's ready to sacrifice the entire trunk if necessary (Mercury Mystique). The plan is to build 2 separate ported enclosures and fire them towards the rear of the car.
As always all input is greatly appreciated. 

Speaker: Clarion PWX1242 (large graphic cut by moderator)

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
And it probably is fairly horrible. Car audio manufacturers recommend small sized boxes because people want them. Further, they jack up the tuning frequency because your average new driver doesn't care about the design, he just wants IT TO HIT!
I'd throw what the manufacturer has to say straight out the window in most cases. Tuning freq. of 52hz? Ouch.
In this case I'd talk to your customer. He wanted good sound, follow your educated WinISD plot, he wants more trunk space, make something smaller.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
GSR Jay 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
I suppose what I really want to know is whether a large (3.5 ft^3) box will destroy this woofer prematurely?
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
as long as the box is built with enough support and wont destruct, and the port isnt a massive opening that will almost make the box free air. then no, I think the demensions you are are just fine.    Might be a little boomy.   You might want to experiment with something around 2.5 cu ft
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
I will always check out a sub with a program before building an enclosure for it....from now on.  So often I notice the recommended enclosure specs have a built-in peak where the average buyer might think it really rocks, but it's just a type of bass boost.  It really kills the sound quality.  Even those who are striving for pure volume should want a reasonable representation of the frequency range.  Besides that, a lot of box specs allow for too small of an enclosure, or a sealed box when it really should be vented.......just to make it a more desirable product for the masses.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic