icon

using foam?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
i just built my first fiberglass box this weekend. needless to say it turned out pretty shatty. but good thing it is nothing i'm going to be puttin in my car, it was just a little experimental project and so i could get some practice under my belt.
i want to build a fiberglass enclosure for my sub and two amps. i know about the method of having the back and bottom out of MDF and the speaker rigns and everything like that. but my friend recommended making a mold out of styrofoam then glassing that or something. i was thinking that this may be easier in making the entire design. i would like to be able to make something that will still let me access my spare tire. my first question is how hard is to use a block of styrofoam or something of the equivalant and fiberglass it? i'm guessin you would need to lay down some foil or something so the glass doesn't melt the foam. this is really my first time diving into this stuff so i'm just trying to learn some tips and stuff like that
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

Well really it would be alot easier and a ton less time consuming if you made your already making your back and bottom out of mdf, to just stretch fleece over it.  The fleece will give you all the curves and you dont have to sit and cut and shape foam for 2 or 3 days.

But if you still want to use foam you can, you can take those big white or green styrofoam planting pieces from walmart and glue them all together with liquid nails.

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
just remember ... resin eats styrafoam. So make sure it is masked off when you begin to lay up.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah or all your work will turn into a big messy goo!   I think!!!
patonplace 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

if you really want to try th foam thing...

the foam you want is building insulation available in about 1"~2.5" thicknesses (I think that's like R7.5 to R24). I doubt Wal-Mart has it, but prolly Home Depot, etc. It is very easy to cut with a hotwire or a breadknife. you can sand intricate details into it.

you have got to use a waterbased resin or the foam will melt.

http://www.rqriley.com most of the plans on this site are made using the foam core technique. I've been to a different site (from Texas, I think) that has a lot of detail on th procedures and materials used for this type of fabrication, but I can't seem to find it right now.

spoontek 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  

A foam idea:

http://foxxaero.homestead.com/Radar1.html

Speed Kills!
Vancouver ricer!
If I marry a Surrey girl. Do I have to pay her for services rendered?
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
Alright I've been looking into foam and the stuff that lowes said they had was polystyrene will this work or does it have to be polyurethane????

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic