icon

aerosil

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sns xpress 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
Is there a such thimg as a place to get a decent price on aerosil? what is a decent price to pay? and are there other forms that would do just as good a job as aerosil?
sns xpress 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2005 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
also is there somewhere that you can buy resin in a five galollon drum? I also have a question about fiberglass mat. What is meant when it is refered to as 2oz or 3oz? what is the best type to use for a big enclosure since there are so many different types of mat?
beyond sic 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
http://www.fibreglass.com/fillers.htm
This is the stuff i use and buy. It's cabosil which as far as i know is the same as aerosil just a different manufacturer. These are canadian prices. The shop is located in Oshawa Ont.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  

here you go man, http://www.shopmaninc.com/fillers.html

Also if im not mistaken you can use stuff like fiberglass dust and sawdust, but I dont think it would be as strong, also talc powder.

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
there are different grades of fillers if you want to say it that way. talc is the cheapest way to go but it also adds the most weight, not neccessarily strength. cab-o-sil or arosil is kind on the low to middle site as far as weight to strength. what we use is 1/32 inch chopped fiberglass strand. i think it is about 0.50-1.00 per pound. we get it in a 25 or 50 pound bag and it lasts a long time.
the 2oz or 3oz for the mat is the weight per square foot if i am not mistaken. the 3oz is thicker than the 2oz the stuff you get in the packs at pep boys is about a 1.5 oz mat.
we get our fiberglass stuff from composites1.com
fiberglast is good so is shopmechanic.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

So basically you could make your own chopped fiberglass strand if you wanted to cut it all up???

The guy I talked said the aerosil-cabosil worked really well and was strong is this true?

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Good luck trying to cut up fiberglass strands.
I got some woven fiberglass that is pretty thick, and wanted to cut it up, I couldn't find or think of anything that would cut it up even remotely quickly.
In about an hour I got about 1/2 lb. cut up into sort of small pieces, but they are in a bag and not very useful.
Buy the mat already made. Save your time, energy, and patience.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic