icon

system upgrade question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
praufet 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
So I built the first stage of my system and used a *cough*audiobahn sub. Ok it was cheap and I just wanted a sub. I also used the profile 600m to powere it and a profile 640 for the fronts and rears. Where I did go right is I have the CDT 6.5" rear fill and CL-61s in the front. I am already looking to upgrade my system to the next stage and have some questions about amps and subs in particular. I want a 10" sub so it won't take up much room and I don't listen to really loud music I just want something to add some bass and occassionally disturb the peace. I looked at the CDT subs but haven't heard anything about them, it'd be cool to have my whole system from the same company. Other than that I was looking at the Koda 10. Any other recomendations? For my new amps I was looking at hifonics, the Brutus 1000 for the amp and Zues 6400 for the rest. I haven't heard too much about hifonics, but I like the way their amps look (next install will be more visible) and the specs look good. Just wanting opinions and recommendations. All of those are pretty much my price range and would rather not spend too much more.
Here are some pics of the current install.
http://webpages.charter.net/praufet/
I need to redo the door pods, they still out too far and the speakers aren't aimed very well. This was my first time, so be gentle;) It would've helped if I would've had a jig to cut the rings, and I will next time, thanks in advance. Sorry for the novel.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
eclipse 7100 series 10 would be nice
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

I think your Koda 10 choice is an excellent choice.  Low distortion, relatively low power requirements, works fine in small enclosures.  It seems to meet all of your requirements. 

Jeff is right, the Eclipse is definitely a sub to consider. 

Another option is the Image Dynamics IDQ.  It is not a sub for extreme SPL or extreme lows - it rolls off early and does not handle a lot of power.  However, was designed to fit in smaller enclosures than most other 10"s on the market, doesn't require a lot of power, and has great quality sound.  Since I don't listen at high SPL levels, it fit the bill for me.  Just another option. 

I've heard hifonics is excellent for subs.  Nice cheap power and reasonably honest ratings.  I've never heard anyone praise their value for mids/highs, however.  You might want to look elsewhere for that amplifier.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
there are BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of subs that would meet your needs, and the Koda is a very nice sub... but i've only heard reviews never in person
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

jettagli03 wrote:
there are BILLIONS upon BILLIONS of subs that would meet your needs

??????????WTF???????????

You know it's slow at the ol' forum when old threads are dragged up for this kind of a response.....     ;)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
haha im bored and just looking through the threads lolsystem upgrade question - Last Post -- posted image.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
Honestly, it looks to me like we have another uthink on our hands... posting just to post.
(Damn, I said that outloud... (inside voice - outside voice - inside voice - outside voice...))
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

Kids will do that...

Oh wait, I just did that...

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic