icon

T-taps, for RS

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
I use t-taps for everything... hate me forever... how do you get the batter wire in older dodge caravans like late 90's where the battery wire is in the top plug at the bcm?... and how do you solder onto the lock wires in those same vans when I can only pull out MAYBE  a 1/2" of wire... How do you test your install if you solder? what if you accidently tap on to the wrong wire that tested as it was supposed to? We use t-taps for everything except some tach wires and security wiring like vats especially... We've never run into an issue of a tap cutting a wire in half... If you use the good 3M taps and not the gross knock offs You should be fine I strip the wire that is getting the male spade maybe 3/8's to 1/2" and twist the wire tight and crimp on a 3M insulated male spade. and plug it into the corrisponding (spelling?) tap. We do alot of de's and re's where I am so soldering would take longer to install and to pullout. But to all you who solder especially to the big guy who says he dosen't have a problem getting any wiring... I wish I could too but i've only been doing this for 2 years and was trained on t-taps not solder... Please don't hate me... i'm just saying it can be done but alot of people out there don't like to
metaverse 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
I know of the arguments here..but, I personally use t-taps, scotchloks and butt crimps. I do use 3M exclusively..especially if you can find the dual tooth scotchloks which grabs a wire in 2 places. I also use a good dab of di-elec grease in the whole connector before making the crimp. I wrap it up tightly with electrical tape (3m 1700 vinyl) In the last 8 years never had one come back from my backyard install for friends/family. The cars have died..the alarm brains have miraculously survived...no complaints..
I use 3 different crimpers, an ideal ratchet crimpmaster, a klein J1005 journeyman crimping plier, and a craftsman stripper/crimper. The Ideal does the red or blue butt crimps insulated..the klein does the yellow and blue insulated..and the craftsman does the non-insulated crimps (very rarely) Never had a crimp fail on me..trust me..I have suspended things from crimped wires to see if it will hold...nothing short of a tug-o-war will.. Also I use the right connectors for the wire guage...no shortcuts..
I always wonder how folks managed to get into tight places and solder everything..especially with 18-22 guage doorlock wires.. Not a big fan of poke and wrap method..makes no safety sense to poke a wire with plastic bordering it..especially with voltage situations. Also, solder can and will react with various elements...surely a tech has heard of cold joints.. To those who solder and wrap..to each his own..more power to you.. I'm also amazed at how folks can complete a car in 4-5 hours from start to finish with soldering..I guess everything is clockwork orange for a pro.. It takes me sometimes an hour just to find a concealed siren mounting spot.. Glad I'm not doing this for a living and I have respect for the pros..
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
solder. nuf said.
gcorrea
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
Just to respond to the caravan questions above. I just got home from doing a 97 caravan and there is a Red wire in the ignition harness to tap into and the door lock relays are right in front of your face when you take the knee bolster of so you can just pull the relays and solder trigger wires on there. Its far easier than using resistors and relays and just as reliable. Hope this helps out in future jobs.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

Also just to point out, I never said I never had a problem reaching a wire, I said I never ran into one I couldnt reach. Big difference, I have spent 15 minutes trying to get at some parking light wires and I burn myself damn near ever time trying to do locks in the mid 90's intrepids, but like I said, I believe that t-taps are better left in the backyard and outta my shop. Just an opinion and not a direct shot at anyone.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 2:36 AM / IP Logged  
who really cares what anyone uses. connect one wire to the other is really the only requirement. It's not like one way is gonna make the car run better.   I use whatever I have laying there. It's more fun that way and it makes me feel like MacGyver.T-taps, for RS - Page 2 -- posted image.
hayman 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  

I used to use crimp tabs and what not years ago and I never liked it.  Maybe it was because as a tech I fixed cars also  and seen all the grieve factory wiring had with spade conectors and connections. Over time some will fail plain and simple.  

Yes an improper solder job is just as bad, seen that before.

In higher current applications personally I think your taking a risk. 

But I know it comes to time and money .  Maybe T-tabs will  let you do an extra car or two a day.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

If I could find the moron that invented t-taps, he would be first on the list for unsolicited phone calls at all time of the night. Hello Mr. Idiotstick, it is John Doe from the national big dick enlargement clinic wondering if you have time for a couple of questions.......

T-taps may for the short term work OK at best, but for long term they suck sweaty goats balls. High current = solder, good connection = solder, low current = solder or a damn good crimp with a proper crimp tool. There is this dude who works for FS in Saskatchewan somewhere, I heard he loves T-taps. T-taps, for RS - Page 2 -- posted image.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
Forbidden.... I completely agree. In over 10 years in this circus, I have not found a single vehicle where I have been unable to make a proper connection. Yes,I have spent a lot of time on some of them doing the "hmmm.... there's got to an easier, alternate location to get this". Yes, I have also taken apart many many cars, and havehadto spend far too much of my time fixing scotchlock damage, intermittant connections, etc. They have no place under a dash as far as I'm concerned... they also shouldn't havebeen used in the $8000 featherlite trailer I bought 3 years ago, and have spent several hours completely rewiring due to the fact the factory deemed scotchlocks a-ok to wire the lighing with. The intermittant nature of the lighting system made for a nice lightshow at night sometimes, however, if I could, I would willingly kick whomever thought of those cursed POS square in the junk, with a running start.
Ugh.
Gus
PS: We have the duboius honour of having a total of 3 shops using those damn things... and 2 of them are mechanics. Iget to fix many of them..... and haveactually sent the scotchlocks back to therespective shop, with a bill....
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
NismaX 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I have been reading the debate of weather to use "t" taps or not. Personally I found they work very well. I have had little to no problems with them at all. I don't use them under the hood of a vehicle those wires are always soldered. However I have never found them to be troublesome under the dash of a car. I don't use them for high current connections because I don't feel that they can carry enough current.
My reasoning is this I have soldered many connections in my life. Having to go back and remove a soldered connection can be more damaging to a wire than the taps. Simply unpluging a tap is a better way. When I put in a remote starter I prefer to make the install removable so the dealer can unplug things he feels necessary for troubleshooting instead of cutting wires and pulling the starter out.
Vehicles come from the factory with few if any soldered connections. Everything I have ever seen in electronics radios to bypass kits use crimp connectors on their leads. Heck the telephone industry uses punch down connections When "t" taps are used in a smart way they make life easier.
Just my opinion though and 20 years of experience.
Jon
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic