icon

93 SSEi two-tone conversion. Lots-o-pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
randman1 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
I was ready for a change to the interior of my SSEi to compliment the double DIN headunit installation done previously. I game plan was a two-tone tan/green color scheme and I decided to try to do the work myself. I am definately a newbie when it comes to upholstery but I think the results are great. I bought a couple of yards of vinyl from Hanc**k Fabrics and went to work. I don't have many pics of the process but here are some completed pics.
First up is the steering wheel and version 1 of the shifter knob. The steering wheel was the ultimate test of manual dexterity. There's probably over 100 hand stitched baseball style stitches around the whole thing.
93 SSEi two-tone conversion. Lots-o-pics -- posted image.
This is version 2 of the shifter knob. As you can see from the first pic, you couldnt even see the tan half. I decided on a different panel pattern. This was all hand stitched too.
Next is the door panels that I installed today. They were embroidered by a local woman that has done work for me before. I did most of the sewing in these except for the top stitches that run along the tan/green seam. I wasn't comfortable doing it myself because the embroidery was already done and I didn't want to screw them up. A local upholstery did the top stitches for $35 for all 4.
These are version 2 of the visors. The first one had a generic logo but this one is as close as you can get to the actual one withour GM supplying the artwork.
I couldn'd scrunch down enough to get a good angle of the visors in the car so here's what they looked like prior to installation.
Next on my list (and about the only thing left) are the seats. I considered doing them myself but realized that I'm nowhere near that skill level yet. I takled to the dude that did the top stitches on the door panels and mentioned that I looked into Katzkin seat covers. He said that they did OEM replacements too. I think it will be better to have him do the seats so I can do the fronts at one time and the rears another. It won't seem as expensive if I do it this way.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  

dude that is amazing,  I mean i cannot believe that you did that stitchwork by hand, that really is incredible.  I am extremely impressed, especially that steering wheel I bet that was time consuming and about to pull your hair out trying to stitch inside those rings.

I too want to get my racing seats and my backseat in my civic recovered, does anybody know anyone in the birmingham, AL area that does really good work?

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
bluetruck 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
tight!
mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
wow thats awesome where did you learn to stich like that?
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  
ehhh... not feeling that green color. clean job on that dbl DIN
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
eedukes 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
I just had my 05 mustang done in red and black leather by Katzkin. They do a wonderful job. For the entire thing, it runs about 1100.00 (front and back) Here are some pics http://www.cardomain.com/id/rednblackdawg
eedukes 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry the link to my car did no come up. Anyway, scroll down to see the interior once you get to the page. Again, I was very happy with Katzkin product. My car
justtegit 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
i can appreciate thw work on the steering wheel man...i put a Honda leather cover that came on later model Integras on my 94...it wa a bitch, i shouldve worn gloves to protect my fingers from that thread..OUCH
randman1 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2005 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
mini, I just started with the shifter knob one day. It's really just like lacing up your shoes only you really need to pay attention to the distance from the edge and from the previous stitch. The materials were pretty inexpensive so I was prepared to make a few practice runs but it came out great the first try. Shaping the vinyl prior to stitching took some practice though.
eedukes, I love the Stang. Did Katzkin embroider the pony too? I looked into them too for seat covers. The problem is coming up with the scratch all at once. I took the door panels to a local company to have the top stitches done and discovered they do OEM replacement covers. I thinking about having them make them so I can do the front seats at one time and the rear another. That will make it an easier sell to my wife

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic