icon

Jl W6v2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tytyguy 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
right now i have 1 jl audio w6v2 in a custom made box. i have the p6002 rockford amp hoooked up to it. its not as loud as i thought it would be the amp is 600 watts bridged at 4 ohms. ad the sub is dual 4 ohm. is that not a good match up? ohms confuse me? if not whats a good amp besides the jl 500/1
tyler
fastev 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
What is the volume of your box?  I think the amp you have is sufficient to drive that woofer, so having a box with the improper volume might be your problem.
petergozinya 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2005 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Through us more info..Like what are you used too.(former system's). Do you think you have a weak link (at all). F.Y.I YOU SAID YOU HAD A W6V2 that's dual 2 ohm. Than it sound'ed like you thought it had dual 4's...? atleast you came to the right place for help hun.. Good luck.
redchevy99 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
is the speaker a 10 or a 12 or what? if the speaker is a dual 4 ohm you are probably running it at 8 ohms and could try dropping it to 2 ohms.  and it could also be your "custom" box. or it could be that JL sucks...lol. 2 w6v2 10" subs is the weakest system i ever heard in my life. u shoulda spent half the money on something better.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  

redchevy99 wrote:
is the speaker a 10 or a 12 or what? if the speaker is a dual 4 ohm you are probably running it at 8 ohms and could try dropping it to 2 ohms.  and it could also be your "custom" box. or it could be that JL sucks...lol. 2 w6v2 10" subs is the weakest system i ever heard in my life. u shoulda spent half the money on something better.

If that's the weakest you ever heard, you must not have much experience with car audio.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
first of all, the sub is nowhere near as loud as it is made out to be. also really depends on the box. you will fry that amp if you keep a 2ohm load on it bridged. you could hook each channel to each voice coil accomplishing pretty much the same thing while keeping the amp at 4ohms. use a y-splitter for the left/right channel to ensure the same signal. your other option is get a second sub, wire each sub up to 8 ohms and then wire the 2 subs in parellel to drop down to 4 and then hook up bridged to your amp. you could also get a class d amp that can go down to 2 ohms.
tytyguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
umm yeah, i have heard a jl 12 w6v2 with a good amp. and it pounded, so dont tell me jl sucks.  and its a 12 inch, dual 4 ohm, and the amp is not powering it fully because i had it hooked up to a rockford 400s and it was louder thanthe p6002. you people dont know sh*t about car audio. wow. these people are stupid. what, do you think audiobahn is the best? hahahaha
tyler
tytyguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
and its not the CUSTOM box, i measure it, the volume and dimensions are precise
tyler
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

Right now your sub is only recieving about 300 watts continuous (it could take alot more). I'm not familiar with the 400s but if its stable at 2 ohm and puts out 400 watts continuous then it would be better then your current amp. If you can I would buy a mono amp with a rating of at least 400 watts at 2 ohms.

I would seriously not use the manufactures reccomended box. Try downloading WinISD and playing around with box size and type.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2005 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
Customsuburb is right with not using the manufacturers recommended box size for all applications.
I agree with Bullman, how is 2-channel amp seeing a 4-ohm load if you have a dual 4-ohm speaker?
You either have a 2-ohm load at the amplifier or a 8-ohm load. Period. Use the wiring wizard on rockford's site to figure out which way you have it wired.
You could improve SPL 2 ways:
1) Buy the right amplifier - not a 2-channel amp, but a 2-ohm stable mono.
2) Redesign the box, ported and tuned to create a better peak in your key key frequency range.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic