help on specs for power/dist/fuses

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Andyman692 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
I have a 2 pioneer amps, a 4chan/400w and a 760w/bridged 2ohm amp (going to a infinity perfect 10.1DVC 1600W/max). Looking at the wiring guide, i was accidently calculating max vs RMS, so i went to home depot and bought a 2ga power wire. With those specs, what size fuses would you reccommend and is the trunk latch bottom screws a good place for grounding?
I was thinking 100Amp fuse at the batters, and then at the dist block in the trunk, 20A for the 4chan and then 50A for the 1ch amp. I was gonig to use 10ga for the 4chan and then what Ga would you reccommend for the dist blk to the 760W amp?
Thanks so much!!
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

match the fuses in the amps, if one is 80a then run a fuse rated at 80a as close to the bat. as possible. I don't think fusing it in the trunk is necessary.

I would use a breaker switch under the hood, they are usually water proof and will be fine for those amps.

the cable size you mentioned for the 4-channel is fine, get the biggest cable the amp can handle and remember to match your ground cable sizes!

try the trunk latch, but keep in mind the longer the ground, the harder the amp works...

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

If it is really a 760 watt amp it'll draw closer to 100 amps than 50.  Pioneer?  Let me guess: is it a GM5000t?  That's actually a 380 watt amp, my friend, and it cannot be bridged into 2 ohms.  If it's not that one, which one?

And no, existing screws are seldom a good ground point, especially not the trunk latch!  You will need to drill a new hole, sand all the paint off, and ise a bolt and nut with star washers.

Support the12volt.com
Andyman692 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
its an older one, the pioneer GMX-962, and I connected my DVC's into parallel and im using the bridged connections on the amp...so does that make it 2ohm? I had it wired in serial when i first installed it, but i reread the instructions...
Ill do a new ground also. I chose the trunk latch because it was only like 8in from my amp...should i make a tap like right next to the stud on the amp?
Andyman692 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
The 400w (Gmx554) has a two 20A fuses and the 760w(gmx952) has two 25A fuses on it. So is that a total of 90A max for a fuse or do i just use the max draw from the biggest amp, 50A?
Andyman692 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
sorry! Gm-X972!
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Your amp is rated at 400 watts into 4 ohms when bridged.  Your Kappa 10.1 is a 350 watt woofer, and if it is the DVC model then yes, you are placing a 2-ohm load on the amp.  Not recomended as your amp is not 2-ohm stable.  If you have a 2-ohm load connected and it is remaining on, then you may simply have gotten lucky with a unit that can handle it - unusual for Pioneer.  This is a bad amp/woofer match but hey, if it's working for you use it.  Add the fuse ratings together and fuse for 100 amps.  Use 4 AWG power and ground.
Support the12volt.com
Andyman692 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
whats a 2 ohm stable amp? Phoenix Gold?
DYohn 
Posted: January 15, 2005 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
There are lots of 2-ohm stable amps.  Most class D mono subwoofer amps can handle a 2-ohm load.  Look for a power rating of XXX watts X 1 @ 2ohms.  As a general rule of thumb, stay away from stereo amps (2-channel) to run 2-ohm loads.
Support the12volt.com
Andyman692 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome, will do. thanks so much for all the advice DYohn!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic