icon

99 Cavalier 12v constant

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eiknujrac 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to install a new Head unit into a 99 Cavalier. According to the info on this site, and other site i've looked up, the 12v constant should be an orange wire. After taking out the factory deck, the only orange wire at the stock connector is an orange wire with a black stripe. All the other wire colors were correct, but I cannot find the 12v constant. I have tested every single wire including the speaker wires for a 12v constant and have not found it, in other words, not a single wire behind the stock radio shows 12v with the key out.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Anything helps-

Thanks

biznisman2u 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2005 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest running an 16-18 gauge wire directly from your battery, unless you wont to be like the professionals (me not included) you can run a constant power wire from your steering column wires. Usually these are a bunch of 12 awg wires right up under your steering wheel. Also if there is an extra wire running to the radio try checking for a blown fuse.
Biznisman2u
eiknujrac 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
Should I fuse the battery wire? If so should I match the fuse rating on the built in fuse on the Head unit?
biznisman2u 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
you should fusethe battery wire. I would think you would use the same fuse as the one on the cd player I really dont know. Infact in the user manual they should have statedthe amount of power the cd player should not extent so look into that. (truthfully, I really dont know the exact fuse you should use... I never used a fuse... so I haven't been doing it top-notch myself)
Biznisman2u
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
check the radio fuse that's in the car's main fuse panel.  If it's blown, it could make it so that none of your wires in the radio harness will show +12v constant.  Replace the fuse, and retest the wires.
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
SilkSurgeon 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
You also need to check to see if the car has incorporated RDS.  If so, then removing the factory radio can prevent functionality of the car including door chimes, and sometimes even airbag sensors!!!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic