icon

Good Quality RCA's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
I've had it. My rca'ssuck. I've been through about a dozen different brands trying to find some thatwon't go bad, and i'm getting no luck. Anyone got any ideas for some good 12' Rca's? Money is no object here.
Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

I'd say it's time to start rollin' your own............too much money going to waste.

Good Quality RCA's -- posted image.

(pic stolen from http://www.bcae1.com/installationprimer.htm)

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
What goes bad with your rcas?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Tangkilla69 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

I prefer interconnect by Stinger.  I install them everyday and very rarely have problems with them.  I don't know how much your looking to spend but the Hyper series is good and cheap and then they just go up in price and quality.  You might want to check and make sure that your cables aren't getting crimped, cut or yanked on as you are driving.  They can be fairly sensitiveto pressure.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

I've had good luck with these for decent quality at decent cost.  Knu Koncepts.  But yes, the real question is what do you mean by "go bad"?  I've never heard of cables going bad unless they get damaged...

Support the12volt.com
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

If you've already tried "about a dozen different brands" and they've all "gone bad", then there's probably something related to the install that's causing your problems.  We'd need more specifics on what the problem is, though.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

Any RCA will "go bad" if you run a screw thru it, or if you tie it in knots and stretch it. The most liely piont of failure is where the cable enters the connecter. Hard turns and stuff aren't any good for an RCA cable.

Zero noise.....

jazzcustom131 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

Alright, here's the deal. I buy new rca's. They work great for a couple of weeks, then I start having an array of porblems. Alternator whine, I hear a sound like the cd spinnig, When my system volume is at zero, I get this really loud whine/ squeal. When I turn on my system, All speakers pull in (like towards the magnet) then realease, and make a nice little thump. I've tried the whole disconnecting from the amp, then head unit, and all of this stoips when I do. My grounds are all on bare metal, and have always worked fine. Power and signal lines are totally opposite sides of the truck (speaker wires actually travel at edge of roof, power is under the floor beside my seat). All polarity is the same through out system. Now, I have been taught to not run more than a couple of feet of ground wire, but my question is, is the back wall of an extended cab Nissan pickup an ok ground? Now, you guys are prolly gonna say rip all of it out, and start over, but just a note: I have, twice in fact, and it's only a temporary cure. I've taken both my amps to a service shop (the one I work at actually) and have had them completely checked, and all is good. I'm really frustrated, because i'm an installer and have never had these issues before, of course when I do have them, they would happen in my car(which is better than a customer's I guess)

Sorry to write a freakin novel, but I wanna make sure I cover all grounds. If ya need anything other info, let me know.

DYohn, is it possible to load video on here? (I just thought it woul be easier to show a clip of my truck and let you guys see and hear what's going on)

Greed is for amateurs.
jazzcustom131 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

just to add an index to my book..........

I see no signs of visual damage to the cable (pinches, crimps, splits, or streching) But when I plug them into something around the house, the data ttransfer isn't very clean (i.e., audio sounds bad)

Greed is for amateurs.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
I used Stinger BULLET Series RCA's in my explorer, and i couldn't be more happy with them. Highly recommended. I got connections with Stinger though if anyone is interested and is going to be ordering their products.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic