icon

Tweeter mounting Bridges

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2002 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

Alright, here's what's up. I'm looking to put a new system in my truck (1995 Toyota pickup 2wd) and have pretty much narrowed it down to:

Kenwood eXcelon Head

Q Custom single 10" Sub behind the seat, .66 cu. feet

4 channel amp, >100watts/ch. , 2 running highs, 2 bridged to sub

some 6.5" component set for the doors.

[possible 1.2 din EQ/Crossover in the dash]

I am looking for a few suggestions.

1) What brand amp? I know it's fairly wide open, I'm just looking for a suggestions for a decently powerful amp, doesn't have to be exceptionally loud, but good sound quiality would be nice. Reasonable price as well.

2)A sub for the Q logic. i was looking @ Kenwood db+ stuff...I want a min. sensitivity rating of 92 dB @ 1w/1m. Needs to be good in about .66-.84 cu. feet sealed.

3) And My main question - Speakers. I have holes in my door, and can enlarge them if nessecary. The doors are NOT very deep. I have about 2" or so to mount in, or I have to block the door out some. (not a big deal, I just figure a good ring of masonite or something under the outer ring would do it...what do you think?) The thing is, I am feeling lazy about mounting tweeters. I don't want to cut a hole, and don't even really feel like flush mounting them. Now, i'm still working out what I wnat, but I know imaging is goignt o be pretty important. I want very good, clean, high quality, and this is goign to be affected by tweeter placement. I don't want to mount the tweeters too high in the door, cause i wnat to try and keep them in phase w/ the mids. I was looking at CDT (CD Tech) speakers, and saw they have this cool line called the braxial ( http://www.carstereopro.com/cdtaudio/classic.html). They are true component, but they use an aluminum bracket to hold the tweeter out in front of the mid. It curls around from the bottom of the speaker, and angles the tweeter to point right at the listener. Looks like a great idea to me. Do you think it would be possible to fabricate my own brackets? And what kind of speakers would you suggest, considering my shallow depth? Do yoiu know of and coax style speakers that sound near as good as components? Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

NyxBass

KyferEz 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2002 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, word of advice, don't look at the specs like they are all telling. Most companies fib, and there is no standard of making measurements, so some companies will fudge their results. I have learned from trial and error, don't pick your hardware based upon specs.

As for you doors, get some raisers (can't remember exactly what they are called) from your local audio dealer. It will set the speaker about 1" away from the door.

Tweeters... don't ask me, I can't stand those little guys. Their highs hurt my ears at any volume and any placement.

Computer Guy & Electronics Engineer.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic