icon

Air bag light on?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

Put an Autopage 615 r/s and keyless on a 1997 Chevy P/U Z-71.  It had factory keyless.  Here are the colors I used for the primary ignition:   Red-  Constant 12V       Ign1- Pink     Ign2-orange    Ign3- white   ACC-brown  start-yellow.

I used ign.3 because he wanted the radio to come on.  He just called me and said his Airbag light is on, and it stays on regardless if he starts it with the key of with the r/s.  Could I have pulled the wire loose from the steering column harness when wiring into the steering column wires?  I did unplug the airbag on/off switch on the shroud that had to be taken off around the radio.  I have done over a hundred on these specific model chevy's and have never had this problem.  If anyone could help, thanks. 

davedyer79
TJ92Civic 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a stupid question, but did you plug it back in?
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
i believe that the orange is acc one and that brown is acc 2. pink is ign 1 and white is ign 2
davedyer79 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
Yes I plugged the airbag switch back in.  A stupid question is a question not asked (kinda corny).  misterjimbo, usually I don't use the brown wire because all it does is turn on the radio.  So your saying I might have the wiring backwards.  Would that cause this?  I mostly use OMEGA tech sheets.  Please other suggestions.
davedyer79
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  

http://directechs.com/directwire/default.asp   

thanks auex, i can link now

davedyer79 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone have any ideas.  I cannot get into directechs.com because I don't have a password.  Could it just be coincidence??
davedyer79
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

Get the truck back and double check the airbag wiring, connectors,pins, ect.. Air bags are extremly dangerios and if that light comes on after an install it should be throughly looked into this is a very important issue. I would say if everything is o.k. and the light still comes on remove the - battery cabel from the truck for about 5 minutes. If that doesnt cure the issue bring it to the dealer to get it checked out.

Jimbo was right with the wires! your wires a mixed up! If this caused the air bag light to come on i do not know.

This is what I used when I did this same exact truck! Someone helped me out with this sheet and I just saved it. Still no problems and going on 2 years!

Start:

YELLOW

IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS *

Ignition  #1:

PINK

IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

Ignition #2:

PNK/WHT or WHT

IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS(ECM)

Ignition  #3:

N/A

Accessory:

ORANGE

IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS (HEAT/AC)

It was always to my learning experiance, that under no circumstances shall the airbag wires, switches, and connectors should ever be handeled, taken apart or removed. I will learn to bend like a pretzel before I remove or as much as go near an airbag component.

MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
I had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago, it was a stupid mistake on my part, I had the ignition wires crossed with the accessory wires. If the second ignition is not powered up as  a second ignition but instead as an accesory it will cause the air bag light to come on, it will also cause  the truck to not shift outta first gear unless the truck is shut off and restarted with the key. I would just check over the wiring and I bet you will find an easy fix. If it all checks out I agree with trying to remove the positive battery post but keep in mind it can sometimes take 20-25 minutes to wipe the codes out.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
davedyer79 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I will try to change the wiring and check all my connections.  Thanks for the suggestions and I will let you know.
davedyer79

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic