the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Custom Enclosure: Downfiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:
DYohn wrote:
I had a chance to test these B&O loudspeakers.  Amazing technology, amazing sound, everything they say they do is true, and if I had the money they'd be in my house right now.  But having the money is of course the problem!

Hmm... I have to admit I'd developed a bias against them because of the external designer feel and the store fronts in fashion malls.  (I also get more than slightly turned off when some young metrosexual employee with too much gel in his hair is snotty to me because I don't fit the demographic he usually sells to.)

I downloaded the pdf file on the speaker.  I eat my words, my hat, put my foot in my mouth, whatever.  Wow.  Fully active design, on board adaptive dsp... looks very impressive.  How much is that speaker?

I certainly know what you mean.  I get the same snotty attitude sometimes when I go into Magnolia HiFi and they are one of MY customers...

The Beolab 5 is only $18000.  But you do get a matched pair...  Custom Enclosure: Downfiring - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
This Axiom Audio sub has a built-in DSP. It also makes the claim of reaching 10Hz.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicenter600.html
Paul
*EDIT*Oh yea, Tony, why exactly do you want a down-firing enclosure?? Seems kinda pointless in a car environment to me.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
Well krf01, the advantage of the dollar spent is the quality of sound. Never before have i head such sound quality reproduced before (price does reflect of course). I still disagree, but i respect your opinion. Everyone says my nak head unit is ugly as hell and i love it! Francious70, i want a downfiring enclosure because i've always been curious how they would sound in my Explorer, and i happen to have to Nak subs laying around to try it out with. It isn't pointless, as a matter of fact downfiring enclosures are quite common. I figured i'd try it once and see if i take a liking to it.

Tony
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

uthinkuknoaudio wrote:

Well krf01, the advantage of the dollar spent is the quality of sound. Never before have i head such sound quality reproduced before (price does reflect of course). I still disagree, but i respect your opinion. Everyone says my nak head unit is ugly as hell and i love it!

Did you read my post? I wasn't talking about the car audio stuff. I was talking about the soundscape stuff. Also, your post shows a simple lack of understanding of my question.  Here, I'll repost it so you can actually read it this time:

kfr01 wrote:
I wasn't talking about their car stuff.  I was talking about the home stuff.  Most of the home stuff seems very form over function.  This is an opinion and based on my observation.  I don't think there is anything unfair about making such a statement.

Let me ask you this.  What is the marginal utility for each dollar spent on a soundscape system over the average price of a similarly performing unit?  i.e. For every extra dollar spent on the soundscape, how much added utility does it buy you?  What portion of that dollar is form?  What portion is function?

Returns diminish very fast at the high end.  They do in just about every consumer product market.  This isn't new.  With Nakamichi's current home product line, I say with a reasonable amount of confidence that returns probably diminish faster than the average - because of their focus on form in the home line. 

Their car stuff is quite the opposite.  I love it.  No glitz.  No glam.  Just function.  Bravo to their car group.
See, I gave credit to the car line.  You do not need to mention it again.

I bolded the important parts.  In otherwords, what PERCENTAGE of each extra dollar OVER AVERAGE goes to form?  Function?  The smart and logical answer cannot be 100%.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Back to Top Search for other posts by kfr01
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
I wasn't talking about their car audio. If i was i would have said so. I was talking about the soundscape. Once again, the dollar extra goes to sound quality, as i have never heard such clarity before in a home unit. It is great stuff, and very well worth it (if you got the money). I think it is very well made and easy to use.

"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Back to Top Search for other posts by uthinkuknoaudio
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
You still didn't answer my question.  But that's ok, I can see you don't want to play my game or don't understand.  Either way, this thread is dead in my opinion.  Cheers.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Back to Top Search for other posts by kfr01
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
cheers!
Back to Top Search for other posts by uthinkuknoaudio
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic