bonding fiberglass to fiberglass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  

What's up guys?!

I made a fiberglass enclosure last year. Slid it into the back of my PT Cruiser, and it fits perfect. After looking at it though, I want it to look like it's molded into the car. So, my plan is fiberglass the edges of the box to the body panels that surround it. I hope i'm explaning it the right way.

My question is.. how?. Do I simply hot glue one end of fleece to the box, and the other end to the plastic molding, and lay mat?. There is about a 3" gap between the box and the molding. So, i'm not quite sure what to do, or how to do it. Someone said to use chicken wire, and lay fleece over that, and then resin. But how do I secure the chicken wire to the box on the verticle pieces, and the plastic molding in the trunk?

I hope you guys are understanding what i'm trying to accomplish lol

switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 5:32 AM / IP Logged  

so your body panels are fiberglass?

2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

no, my body moldings are oem plastic.

nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
no one knows this?
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
You have a few options. Do you ever plan to take the OEM panel out for work?
You can use bendable wood to curve over the OEM panel, then glass that with a layer or 2.
You can also make a beveled wood frame that fits the contour of your OEM panel to frame to the fiberglass box you already built.
Tape up over EVERYTHING! That way you can always start over if you are not happy.
DXAV
fexploder 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 4:37 AM / IP Logged  

get rubing alchohol or acitone and wipe down the existing fiberglass ( assuming you used tooling resin and striped the paint off the glass ) this will cause the resin to be tacky.  Stretch the fleece onto the fiberglass and drill small screws to hold the fleece.  Stretch the fleece from the box to the plastic and simply use a staple gun to hold it in place.  After the resin has completly catalized you can grind the the glass and screws to make it flush. Remember the screws are of no use after the glass has hardend to the box.

KEEP IN MIND fiberglass does not stick to plastic verry well so you need to scuff it and clean it verry well.  Even then under great pressure or simply from time the fiberglass could still pop off.

LatinMax 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

If you don't care aboot the OEM panels then use speaker grill cloth and tuck it into the trim and pull it over to the boav and resin that in place.

If you want to keep the panels (my suggestion). Tape everything up, then cover with aluminum foil. Make a frame to the edge of the box (don't FG to the box) this way you can still get the box out with out breaking the FG extentions. Pull speaker grill cloth over it all (probably 2 layers) and let it set up. Once you take it off it should hold most of the form. Then galass again from the inside (or outside, your choice). Once done you can sand & paint or cover with cloth. Now you have cusom fit panels that can be removed easily, that don't wiegh much and fit perfect.

Hope this make sense.

Having Fun in Texas!
"LatinMax"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic