icon

Best 5.25's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
perrogrande007 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

I have a pair of MB Quart 5.25's in my Jeep, but the tweeters on all of the Quarts speakers are so damn sharp that it kills my ears.  I have tried to attenuate them down, but it's not helping.  What are the best speakers for sound quality on the market and what are the best back for your buck speakers for sound quality.  I'm not really worried about cost as long as they sound good and can take plenty of juice.  when the top is off the Jeep I lose a ton of sound.

Thanks!

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
Where do you have your tweeters mounted?  Where do you have your midrange drivers mounted?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

Are we talking about a pair of coaxials or a set of components??

As far as losing sound when the top is down, I don't think there's much you can do about that.  Even with a good sized amp, there is too much wind noise and nothing for the sound to reflect off of(roof I mean).

I've never spent a lot of money on a single pair of speakers.  About $70 per pair is all I ever shell at one time.  But my favorites have been the Audiobahn AS series so far.  They are coaxials but do have a removable tweeter that can be mounted separately just like components.  I believe they sounded the best of any that I have ever heard as far as coaxials go.  The tweeters on them aren't too harsh in my opinion, but about right.  The 6.5's that I had were rated at about 90 watts RMS.  Most coaxials in their price range are about half that.  I was just really impressed with them.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

choke * cough * gag.... lol please don't even think about going from Quart to Audiobahn... lol

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
MB Quart tweeters utilize a titanium dome in what the company refers to as their "signature sound".  If that sound doesn't agree with you, get out to some dealers and listen to some other types of materials used in tweeter domes.  Silk or aluminum are two other composites (these both by Memphis).  When you hear a material that is pleasing to your ears, then you can start researching manufacturers to find a model at a price that's right for you.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
perrogrande007 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
MB Quart tweeters utilize a titanium dome in what the company refers to as their "signature sound".  If that sound doesn't agree with you, get out to some dealers and listen to some other types of materials used in tweeter domes.  Silk or aluminum are two other composites (these both by Memphis).  When you hear a material that is pleasing to your ears, then you can start researching manufacturers to find a model at a price that's right for you.

Hey, thanks to all of you guys, you bring up some great points.  The speakers that I need will most likely be just for rear fill...they are going into the soundbar above my head, and I'm going to put about 50 watts to each of them.  I'm going to put some MB Quart Q 6.5 components in kickpanel pods that I'm glassing on the dash.  They'll see 75watts apiece, maybe 150 if they aren't loud enoug.  I'm running a 300/4 JL right now, I might go ahead and do a 300/2 up front and run the 300/4 to the rears and maybe some more mids in the kickpanel below the dash.  I am also running a 500/1 to a 10W7 ported to I think 35Hz.  I think something smoother like silk will be more to my liking.  The mids on the MB Quart coaxials that I have in the soundbar sound good, I wonder if I can short out the tweeters or something and leave the mid up there?  I also have some 5.25's out of an old Fanatic X set that I could use....and I have the tweeters out of an old set of Fanatic Q's as well...maybe those will sound better in the front with the MB Quart Q mids.  What do you guys think?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
Couple of things:  it sounds like you have an awful lot of speakers in there, but maybe it's just the way I' m reading it.  For attenuating the tweets in the rear, you can filter thru the amp using lowpass to get the rear mids that you like.  And substituting tweeters with the Quarts is not a viable idea.  You have some expensive and well-made amplifiers in your setup...evaluate some worthy components, set up your strong fronts and stay away from a Frankenstein mish-mash of borrowed parts.  Just my O.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
IIRCm it is very very easy to disconnect the tweeters on the Quart coax speakers. <looks at 4" speakers first> Yup, should be as simple as either cutting the + or - lead going to the tweeter up through the center of the magnet if they are the DKE series. Better idea would be to unsolder one of the leads, this way it can be reconnected at a later date.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
perrogrande007 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
Couple of things:  it sounds like you have an awful lot of speakers in there, but maybe it's just the way I' m reading it.  For attenuating the tweets in the rear, you can filter thru the amp using lowpass to get the rear mids that you like.  And substituting tweeters with the Quarts is not a viable idea.  You have some expensive and well-made amplifiers in your setup...evaluate some worthy components, set up your strong fronts and stay away from a Frankenstein mish-mash of borrowed parts.  Just my O.

Good point.  Not all of these speakers are in my car lol.  They are sitting around my garage.  But point taken, thank you! :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic