icon

correct way to tune an amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Stripes26051 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  

Okay i have another question, i know im getting annoying but this forum is very helpful

My girlfriends civic, she has a power acoustic  LT980/2 amplifier, with 2 power acoustic subs fubr12 or sumthing like that i have it tuned it kinda sounds alright but i realized that at lower volumes the bass hits harder  and at higher volumes the bass almost decreases she has pioneer dehp4500 h/u also. Now i hear you guys talking about i have my amp tuned to 37 hz or sumthign like that and it confuses me i dont understand how i would do it i usually tune it to ear but i guess it does not work because im not happy with how it sounds now so my basic question is if anybody can help explain to me how to tune this amp correctly for both spl and s/q but mainly s/q thanks

-jordan

89 honda crx 1 15" Power HX2 jblbp1200.1 rockford coaxials 4 channel comin soon
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe you've confused amps with sub enclosures?  Ported boxes are tuned to certain frequencies, making the bass louder at a certain point.  Click on some of the links to the left to find out more about it.
Stripes26051 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  

sealed box

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Amps are not "tuned," vented speaker enclosures can be "tuned" so they are most effieicint at a specific frequency.  Are you talking about setting the input gain, crossover point, etc?
Support the12volt.com
Stripes26051 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
yes all of that
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
maaudio1 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

If your having problems with the bass at higher volumes it could be a cancellation problem. How are the subs faced? To the rear of the car, front of the car, or firing straight up?

2004 Mazda 3s Hatchback
2- MTX 4500 8" subs powered by MTX 251D
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
If the bass decreases as you turn up the volume you could have reverse polarity, or be using a loudness (the bass is boosted at lower levels and the boost is defeated as you turn up the volume).  Those are two quick things to check.
What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Read and do what DYohn suggested first.
It could also be a box issue. Leaks, poor bracing, etc.
What is 'tuned' to 37hz? Do you have the crossover set there, what? The dials are usually labeled.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
nudnjuschillin 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
Jus wondering if it makes much of a difference if the subs are facing to the front of the car, rear of the car, up or down? which is better???(im new to this stuff)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic