icon

trunk project questions/pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  

I started messing around with some mdf about a month ago and forming a rough idea of what i was going to do, then i built a wooden tray for my amp to sit in which is now filled and ready for primer, this i will be attempting to flush into the left side of my trunk, using the factory carpet and some superglue i'm planning to kind of roll the carpet into the sides, anyone ever done anything of this nature?, the second part of this is i'm building a fiberglass sub box, the box has a 17.25 by 17.25 foot print with fleece for all the walls, now one of the issues i'm having is i still have some flex in my box, i've got about 4 or 5 layers of chop mat down now laying it semi thick on straight areas and using enough to fill the rest of the box out so its not odd shaped, i'm also trying to stagger the layers so i have a couple layers of chop and a layer of weave mat, the weave i'm laying in wide peices that cover the whole area that is flat, my theory is i'll have alittle more strength doing it this way, dunno if theres any science to it but the box was pretty stiff at 3 layers, under my thumb it would flex just a hair when i push down really hard. now i have nothing but slopes, packing peanuts will not fit, my box measures 17.25x17.25x10.25 and it rolls from that 10.25 down to the front edge, really neat looking box in person, but impossible to measure with peanuts, so i'm figuring sand as the bottom is mdf and water wouldnt be a smart move on untreated mdf, if my figures are right i should be around .6 cubic feat as a regular box would be around 1 cuft.   Now the 3rd part of this is me cleaning up my wiring and rebuilding my amp sort of, i'm replacing the nasty yellow led with a blue one, then i'm polishing the amp and painting the area between the fins black. i have some pictures i'll be showing of the progress as soon as i get them uploaded, in the mean time how stiff does a box have to be to sound good? the stiffer the better? or will alittle flex not be so bad?

J~

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
I think its always the stiffer the better. You could also add some layers of glass on the inside, I ended up glassing a small piece of mdf on the inside of my box to the flat area of my glass.  After I did that I had no movement whatsoever.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

well i went to look at my work today, turns out once it set firm its solid now, no flex that i can see and my thumb doesnt move it so i'm callin it good, started grinding off the excess edges and such, i'll have my pics up as soon as my g/fs little girl goes to sleep lol, somehow she thinks the computers her own little drum set,. anywho, i'm waiting for warmer days to finish the whole thing.

J~

doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
How much air space are you shootin for?...if you end up short add some polyfill from a pillow...not sure on the amount you'll need off the top of my head. do a search in, I think ,"Car Audio" on this site to find out how much. if you're over add some blocks of MDF to take up space.....again not sure how much.
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  

my goal was around .7, i beleive i'm around . 6 should be alittle over, as i cant really calculate a sloped enclosure very well, if i could rebuild it i probably would of used an 18 by 18 base just to be safe, although i have a ton of polyfil just waiting for this project so that incase i ran small i had a useful way of making up for it, the sub i have works good in small spaces anyway so no big deal either way.

J~

Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  

after checking alittle the box has more space than i thought, my previous store bought enclosure was .65 this one took all the polyfill that was in that box and still needs more, much more, the bass hits better, the sub sounds great compared to the old box and i finally have some of the sanding work and some of the putty  laid down on it, i'm gonna take more pics of my trunk then post them up here if anyones waiting for something :).

J~

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah man, would love to see them!!
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.

trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.

and now some fabrication pics, white paint mixed in with my resin and caused it to sort of turn a WHITE/ yellow color while it was wet.

trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.

trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.trunk project questions/pics -- posted image.

Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

ok that didnt work well at all, i'll post some of the box, in the meantime if someone knows a moderator who could remove or fix those pics that would be great :).

J~

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic