icon

I need help with crossover slopes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigboi11 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
I don't really understand how to set up a crossover and i don't really know what the slopes that people talk are.  I know that you want the lower freqs for the subs and things like that but How do you set the slope up to get it right.  I have kicker kx 5.25 in the front , kicker kx 6.9 in the back and two kicker l7 12's in the trunk.  with the kicker crossover also.  I plan on switching to focal componants but my money is funny right now.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.bcae1.com/
Read it. :-)
He has some very nice graphics and interactive demos to help you understand many of the concepts. Post here if you have a question on any of it. He can do the basic explanation easier than I can... and it's already there.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

Some definitions first: 

octave:

a doubling or halving of any frequency results in a progression to the next octave.  A tone at 50 Hz and one at 100 Hz are one octave apart.  Same applies for a tone at 2000 Hz, and the next octave at 4000 Hz.  An octave, using the familiar piano keyboard, is from any note to the next higher of the same note (e.g. C to C...CDEFGABC.  You can see that when you get into the higher Hz numbers you go through a much greater number of Hz to get to the next octave.

decibels (db):

the next change in loudness that a human can perceive.  (Some of us older guys who have started the onset of hearing loss have a harder time perceiving those slight differences, BTW.)  3 db is generally considered a change in loudness that is noticeable, like if someone asks you to turn the radio up, you turn it up enough to make a difference....that's about 3 db.

db/octave:

how many decibels per octave? stated in decibels per octave.  Or, what is the loudness at the next octave compared to what it is at this one?

slope:

the change in loudness from one octave to the next, shown as db/octave.  Crossovers, when simply built, are called 1st order.  They consist of only a capacitor or only a coil, depending on if they are working as a lowpass or a highpass.  The change in loudness for these is 6 db/octave.  2nd order crossover slope is 12 db/octave...a more complicated crossover using multiple components.  As the crossovers become even more complicated, steeper slopes of 18, and 24 db are made.

Ideally, for setting crossovers, you take the time to experiment.  If you have the choice to crossover mids and highs with varying slopes, start with the steepest ones available.  Adjust to a frequency that blends the two speakers' sound.  As you listen to nuances in the music, you can change the slope until you finally arrive at a crossover setting where the music sounds natural and good to you.  Mids-to-tweeter slopes are often steeper than sub-to-mid slopes for best natural transitions.  And if you're adjusting a crossover with a set type of slope, such as 12 db/octave...you only adjust the frequency to arrive at the best sounding transition.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I am gonna try this in lamens terms. What do you have right now for equipment that lets you set your slopes. Is it on the deck, is it an outboard prosessor or what is it. Once you let me know that I think we can help you out more.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
bigboi11 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
I believe it is my crossover that lets me set my slopes
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  

bigboi11 wrote:
I believe it is my crossover that lets me set my slopes < language=>postamble();

I think he means what KIND of crossover?  In your HU?  Built into a processor or an amp?  External stand alone?  Make/model?

Support the12volt.com
bigboi11 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
oh I have a kicker 3way electronic crossover

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic