2003 Subaru WRX Alarm Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cruckman4 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

My friend got an Autopage RS855 remote starter / alarm for his 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX.  I'm not sure if his car just has keyless entry or if it has the factory Subaru alarm installed on it.  Is there any way I can tell for sure if it has the factory alarm?  Is there anything that I will need to do to get the door locks to function with the new alarm, or if it has the factory alarm, is there anything I will need to do to bypass the factory alarm?  I just want to make sure I understand it all and save myself a lot of headaches before I start splicing wires.  And one other thing, would anyone have any idea as to the easiest way to run a relay for the clutch switch so it can remote start only if it's in neutral?  I know that the WRX has a neutral position sensor, but I've never messed with installing relays before.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
Pull up the carpet under the glove box area revealing a metal panel. Remove the metal and you will find the car's ECU. The ECU will have about 5 plugs coming out of it. The top plug has the neutral sensing wire. It is GREEN/ black. Turn the ignition on and put the car in gear and it will read as ground. When in neutral, the wire will read as positive. Connect this wire to the hood pin input on the remote start. If the car is in gear, it won't remote start because the remote starter will think the hood is open. If you are adding a hood pin to the vehicle, make sure you diode isolate it from the wire connecting to the neutral sensing wire otherwise you will burn out that circuit if you open the hood with the car in neutral and the ignition on.
You will need to connect a wire that shows ground when remote started to one of the wires at the clutch switch. It is low current, so you won't need a relay. I don't remember the color, but it will meter as ground ONLY when the clutch is pushed all the way in.
If it has a factory alarm, unplug it. Nothing else will be effected. PM me if you need the location of the factory alarm. I would rather not post that info here. They usually don't come with factory alarms unless the customer pays extra for it.
Jschult3 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

Yep! The factory alarm is pretty much useless anyway.

I have an 04WRX with a 791xv in it. Love it. The neutral wire is great.

Good Luck

Jeff
Always Verify Wire information before Connecting! Just a Darn Good DIY'R
Cruckman4 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the help.  So far, I've got the alarm all good to go.  The only thing I still need to do is take care of the remote start on it.  I was hoping to use the neutral position sensor to bypass the clutch.  I'm sure I'll have to use a relay, which is okay.  Which wires will I need to use from the clutch switch to bypass it?  I noticed that there are 2 harnesses going to the clutch pedal.  I tried testing the voltages on the wires in these harnesses and really couldn't get any readings.  I appreciate any help in advance and thanks again for all the help thus far.

Mike

Jschult3 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

Clutch-

Relay required, look for the switch that works when the clutch is near the floor. Thats the starter switch. The other is for the disengaging crusie control.

Neutral wire can be grabbed at the ECU, should be behind the glove box. I don't remember the pin by number but I can check when I get home and post again. I believe I saw a ground when I pressed the clutch to the floor.

Jeff
Always Verify Wire information before Connecting! Just a Darn Good DIY'R

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic