icon

Engine Swap -- Nissan 300ZX tt to a Honda Civic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BillabongerE2W 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2002 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, I have a small question that I'd like to ask.  I own a 1992 Honda Civic LX.  My Dad's girlfriend has an engine from a 1990 Nissan 300ZX (twin turbo).  I got to thinking after she said that she wasn't going to use the engine, and that I could have it if I thought I had a use for it.  My question is if I would be able to have an engine swap done, putting the 300's into my Civic.  If anyone knows if this is possible, and for how much, it would be a great help.  Thanks in advance.  --Clint
Aw1208q 
Copper - Posts: 42
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2002 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
for one the stock civic tranny will not hold the hp the 300zx's tt engine puts out. the 300zx is a rwd car giving it enough room for the engine and tranny. puttin that engine in a fwd civic could cause some problems. you would have to do alot of frame mods to handle the engines weight and torque. im not sayin it can not be done but it will cost you some money. alot of custom work will most likely have to be done and it will not be easy. thats just my two cents worth. if you get it done i will want to see some pics, /c that will be one fast little civic!!!Engine Swap -- Nissan 300ZX tt to a Honda Civic -- posted image.
Maxima10to1 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2002 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
Thats a killer idea but the car will wont handle for crap around corners because of weight, but you would have a great straight line dragger!
Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2002 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

Imposible !

Sorry but it's the real truth .

Dan M C
rave 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2002 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Hummmmmm....     I just happen to have a 300ZX N/A and I could use that TT motor..  If it dosent work out for you... maybe we can talk
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2002 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

I've done motor swaps, and come up with crazy dream matches of engines to cars.  example - guy I know is buying a 225 hp japanese motor for his civic for $8500. For that much, I could build a small block chevy making more than twice the power and with low and midrange torque, and have money left over to fit it in the civic.  Back to the subject of the twin turbo nissan, it's theoretically possible, but it's infeasible if you're not willing to spend megabucks.  Two dreaming possibilities:

1. Put the motor in the civic using the existing drivetrain.  Honda transmissions, axles, and unibodies can reportedly handle much more torque than that engine makes.  However you would have to fabricate custom motor mounts, intake, exhaust and cooling system at the very least since the nissan motor wasn't designed for a transverse FWD application.  In addition, as far as I know Honda transmissions do not bolt directly up to Nissan engines, so you'd need to find a way around that.  This is all assuming you have the computer and wiring harness for the nissan motor.

2.  Swap an entire rear-wheel drive nissan powertrain into the civic.  This would involve suspension and body mods, and finding a transmission and rearend, but everything would probably work in the end.  This would probably be cheaper than option one (keep in mind, cheaper is relative, it would still probably cost at least $7000 when it's all done). 

So in the end, you'd spend far more than your civic is worth for either option, but you'd have a one of a kind vehicle

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Z28nfrntofu 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
Now theres an idea. But if you did pull it off. your front end would be in the weeds because of the extra weight. Unless of course, you got some stiffer springs. Springs designed for the TT 3.0 should give the rating when you go to find springs that fit your honda.
Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
I would seriously want to see pictures after this is done. Engine Swap -- Nissan 300ZX tt to a Honda Civic -- posted image.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
junnjoy1 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

for you to put a 300zx in a civic, it is impossible, but if you have that much money you can thou.     it is better if you just go for a b20 vtec estimate at around 200 horse. then you build it and stuff. it will be around 2000 for the basic. or you want to go cheaper lsvtec turbocharge.  i don;t know why you want that much horse on a street car. just a plain b series engine will be good enough for street.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic