icon

Newbie, What amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lowridereclipse 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  

Hey there, This is my first post even though i have read a lot of the posts in a desperate search for what amp(s) I should get with my system. I recently purchased a pair of Audiobahn AWP312t's (bleh i know all your feelings about audiobahn so save it) and my question is what should the rest of my system look like? eventually i want to get some Hi's and Mid's to go along with them but for the time being i just want to power the subs. What amp do you recomend? Should I also install a Capacitor?

Sorry for all of the newbie questions but since this is my frist real car and therefore my first real hands on experiance with sound systems i want to get it right (you know... without blowing a sub).

Each sub powers 1200w of power (so says audiobahn...)

Thanks, chris

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 3:07 AM / IP Logged  
If you plan on buying locally then respond with what is sold in your area. If you are buying over the internet then here are a couple of recomendations that wont break your bank. A JBL 1200.1 is a great amp for you. They are real work horses and damn reliable. The MTX 6001 which is a new amp this year is also, from my experiences, damn near bullet proof when installed correctly. You can also look at the older MTX amps which would include the 801D and the monsterous 1501D. Kicker makes a couple good amps as well, however they are generally a little bit more for because of the name. Alot of people on here have great things to say about Hifonics and US amps but my experience is limited only to the older stuff so I wont really comment on those, someone else will I am sure. I am not gonna flame on someone who bought a sub that they like unless they start trying to convince me its the best damn thing going or telling me they are hitting 180dbs with it. If someone askes my opinion I will give it but I dont think its all that nessasary to jump on someone right away. If you like em then thats all that matters. But tell me, was it the sound of the subs you liked, or the chrome basketsNewbie, What amp? -- posted image.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
well, the chrome flames make it louder, right? anyway, i would say to pick up a coulple audiobahn 2150HCT's. one for each sub. why not sitck with audiobahn and kinda keep a theme for the install. they make decent product and right now the 2150 is going cheap. i just sold one at my shop for under $400 bucks. i would sell you two for...um...(im doing math in my head...)....$769.99. im not sure but i think thats just above reg. retail for one, and if i would sell them for that, just imagine what those bastards at ebay would let one go for. after that check out some of their 3-way componets, and a decent smaller amp to run them. if it's all installed right it will sound good.
lowridereclipse 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
Haha yah the flames make it 1x louder. Naw the one i have just has chrome and no flames. They kinda overdid it with the flames. Anyone else know of any good amps? im probably going to buy when my next paycheck rolls in
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
Look into HiFonics amp, the 1500D would be perfect and you can get it on ebay for $200-$250. Memphis amps are also great, but they are a little more expensive and I dont know of anywhere online you can buy them. Ikesound.com has some good deals on refurbished amps from Precision Power, Directed, Orion and Viper.
lowridereclipse 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Also how should i wire the subs for best power and sound? Im planning on fabricating some FG or MDF sealed boxes for my hatch. Space is limited so sealed is the only way to go for me.
lowridereclipse 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

Also how should i wire the subs for best sound and power? I am planning on two FG or MDF (or a mix of both) sealed enclosures because i have limited space in my hatch.

lowridereclipse 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

Done mind the dubble post... but really...how should i wire it?

Remember im a newbie. Thanks for the help

wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
I've always been told that you should go easier on the power than Audiobahn says you should.  Audiobahn tends to over rate their subs, or they rate them right on the maximum extreme they can handle,  which can cause problems, as some amplifiers are under-rated.  Then again,  1200 watts is rediculous...       Consider feeding each sub between 800-1000 watts. 
Keep in mind, also, depending on the enclosure type you use,  power ratings vary.  Subs in Sealed boxes have differen't power needs than subs in ported boxes.
As for wiring, You should have many options open to you (I've never seen a sub's coils wired in a series, with each individual sub wired in parallel...  IS THIS POSSIBLE OTHERS?) 
If it is possible, you do have a variety of options, but stay away from wiring down to 1ohm if you can.  It's quite a load on the amplifier, and has been shown to decrease amplifier life.
As for Audiobahn....I admire their products, and their company.  I have Audiobahn amps and subs in my truck right now.  One amp (i bought it as a year 2000 closeout model last year) recently died under warranty.  Granted, it was an old model, and developed by the company when they were still very young.  Since I purchased it from an authorized dealer less than a year ago,  it was still under warranty.  I called them up, they told me to send it in,  and in less than a month, i had a brand new version of the model i purchased.  Audiobahn Replaced my amplifier, without asking hundreds of quesitons, or nickeling and diming me along the way.  Audiobahn is a reputable company,  with a quality product.  If people cant see past their style, and look at the product's performance,  then that's their loss...
~wayland
lowridereclipse 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

Bump

I was thinking about selling the subs but im going to keep them so I still need to know of a good amp. I cant find any of the amps you guys mentioned except for the Audiobahn Amp... It would work but i really dont want a HUGE flashy piece of flame shaped chrome in my hatch (the AWP312T are the ones without the crazy flames).

If you could tell me the best way to wire the subs to the amp that you recomend that would help me out a lot.

Thanks, Chris

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic