icon

Series wiring question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bmoney 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

I have a Pioneer DEH-1600 deck - 22W per channel continuous power (50W max per channel).  I also have a Sony XPlod XS-L1030 sub - max pwr 400W-rated 120W - 4 Ohm.

Can i wire the two rear channels of the deck in series and gain power?  If so, does it double, or end up less--or will I fry something?  The sub is rated at 120W----if I can double the power - will giving the sub only 44 watts hurt it or the deck or both? 

I don't have $$ for an amp right now---wondering if I can get by in the mean-time.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
The deck is not bridgable. Don't try it.
Also, on the amp money thing. Search ebay. A friend of mine is selling a 120w bridgable old Sherwood amp. It probably won't go for even $10. Anyway, there are a bunch of deals like that around that will work just fine.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
bmoney 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you very much------I figured as much, just didn't know if there was a "cheat" I didn't know about. 

The sherwood in good shape?  I started looking on ebay - found some cheapies but they are 100W RMS-----is there any danger in pumping 100W RMS to a 120W rated speaker?

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
No there is absolutely no danger in 100w RMS to a 120w speaker. You could power any subwoofer, even one with a 2000w rating with 10 watts and it would cause no damage unless you pushed the amplifier too hard.
You'll hear NO audible difference between 100w and 120w.
bmoney 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
What's your buddy's ebay name----not many sherwoods there but I want to make sure I lok at the one that comes recommended by you----that way I know it works--never can tell about those ebay-ers
kfr01 
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
I'll pm you the link. I don't want to advertise on this forum for him (against the rules). I shouldn't have even brought it up, but I wanted to give you an example of a very cheap amplifier that would work.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic