icon

02/03 explorer tach problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mark1234 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
I'm haviong problem on a clifford 2.1 installed on a 2002 ford explorer.  The vehicle dies in 3-5 min. the shutdown diagnostic is over rev. AS suggested in earlier posts I swithched to the pnk/wht at the coil pack. I also tried learning the tach at higher rpms 1500, 2000, 2500. still does it. also in drive(low rpm). still does it. i also tried moving the tach threshold jumper and the above higher /low rpm's. still shuts off I dont really want to use a injector wire as i heard if it shorts it will keep the injector open causing the engine to flood/was the gas and cause engine failure. I would like to have the tach proterction in case of real over rev, instead of just using voltage sense. any input would be appreciated thanks
mark1234 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2005 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
any other ideas I really dont want to tap a injector wire, dei says many ot the coil wires work,the pnk/wht seems to be the favorite. There has got to be someone who has made this work . this unit is a good quality unit. there has got to be a trick
???  Thanks to everyone
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

8 cyl.   ???   Grey @ the PCM, pass side under hood.

Other......blue/green @ coil pack....

Ive done both....they work fine on an astroflex

cerwinvega4 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
I had to fix one of these cars that had the same problem. It would run for a couple minutes and then shut down. The installer had the wire at the coil pack. I switch it to an injector and it fixed the problem. In my experience, on Ford vehicles, i use an injector almost all the time.
mark1234 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
6 cyl, clifford 2.1, is this unit a piece of junk now. A couple of years ago when i was installing they were pretty good
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
i too am against going to an injector. no real reason, jsut have bad dreams afterwards. there was a six month period at the ford dealer i was at where i had to tachless all of the explorers. it was wierd, same problem as above. 6 months later tachless worked fin. there was no big change in temperature or anything. the tach i was using was a pink white and a green white depending on engine. this wire is no longer there on the newer explorers.
stevent 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
Go to tach wire it works.
mark1234 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
stevent, what works???
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
How's your ground? I have come across a couple Fords that the cab was a good 50-60 ohms away from the battery ground. Never know. Also, head for an injector... more stable signal.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
stevent 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
** i meant injector wire (2 posts up)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic