icon

another overhead console help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jafman 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2002 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
I will be doing a similar install in a 2001 Honda Odyssey.  Has anyone done an install in that vehicle?  I want to attach the monitor so it hits a crossbeam, if possible and minimize the time spent on dealing with the headliner.  Any suggestions, pics etc???????  Please email me    sjaffe@cfl.rr.com
misterZ 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2002 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys,

Ok, I've had everything done for about a month now. I still haven't taken any pictures yet but will try to find time to do it. The video some times cuts out momentarily, will check the wiring again when I get the time.

There is a cross beam at about the front of the sliding door going across the ceiling. The ceiling is one piece, my wife pushed up with her thumb while I checked from the outside and sure enough I can see it bulging. To make things easier I pulled out some of the weather stripping and pulled down the liner just enough to inspect everything before I started cutting.

It's not too difficult, just time consuming because of all the planning. Once you get started everything just sort of falls in place.

I don't know about the Odyssey, but you could take out the stripping and peek into the liner and see if there's a beam or not. The beam makes all the difference.

Drahcir 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2002 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Try to look at the headliner, there should be several headliner retaining clips. These will locate the crossbeams are on your vehicle. Or look at every "B" pillars and you will locate the crossbeams. Next, open and take out your dome lights(most probably located above the windshield for most vans) and measure the mounting holes. Use these dimension to locate the pre-drilled holes or tapped holes on the crossbeam you intend to install the overhead console. I did it by pocking through the headliner and into the crossbeam using a needle. But, you still have to take out the headliner and cut a hole for the cables to run above the headliner.
BulletTooth 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2002 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
Just done an Oddysey Today, (10.4" XO Vision monitor) it's easy. There is a beam in a perfect place, going from Left B-Pillar to the right one and at the middle going back, so it looks like T-shape. I slipped a piece of metal between the headliner and the roof, cut out a small hole in the middle and screwed the metal plate in place...then I just screwed the monitor housing into my peice of metal and that's it. I took the side panels, the domelights, and the visors off  to let the headlier down to inspect and run wires, trust me the dissassembly won't take more than 10 min and makes your job a lot easier. If u need more info post.
jafman 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2002 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks both of you.
can I just attach the mounting plate directly to the T-Shape cross beam without worrying about hitting the roof? do I need the metal (or wood) piece if I attach to the crossbeam?
What is a B pillar? I think I know what youa re talking about though.
Steve
BulletTooth 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2002 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Yes you can attach it to the T shape Beam but use short screws so not to drill through the roof layer. I used a metal plate that actually came woth the monitor, it is thin and the screwes will never come out, you can use either metal or wood, whatever works for u. the B-Pillar is between the front door and the sliding door.
jafman 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2002 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
My monitor came with a metal plate to attach to the roof, and then the monitor attaches to the plate. can I just hold the plate to the headliner where the T-bar is and use short screws and attach it that way? Then I wont have to relly drop the headliner at all (assuming I can find the T-bar). do you have any pics of the install you have done?
BulletTooth 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2002 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  

No didn't get no pics, but here's a link to help you with that install, just download the sample installation guide at the middle of this page:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=205-204

Let me know if this helped.

jafman 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2002 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
Looks easy enough but I didnt want to have to cut out the headliner if I dont have to.  I just wanna find the metal beams and hodl the plate against the headliner and drive the screws into the plate and into the metal beams.
F4Pilot 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2002 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  

I installed a 10" flipdown exactly how the installation guide illustrates from Bullet Tooth's post.  I didnt like the idea of cutting a hole in the head liner either.  However, after much thought...I decided to cut.  Either way there are going to be holes (if you take the unit down), and why would you want to?  What are the odds? 

Start with a smaller square hole so you can see through the roof liner and work outwards.  I aligned the monitors screen while flipped down with the side pillars.  My monitor is strictly flush mount and extrudes less than one inch from the roofliner.  No universal mounting plate.  Ran the wires down the front pillars.  Turned out great!!

Sorry, no webspace to post pictures.

02 Odyssey / 99 F4
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic