icon

best 6.5’’ for bass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Doc_kracken 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  

I need some suggestions for a good 6.5'' for the doors of my 01 blazer, I have some $50 a pair Polk's in there now and they just aren't gettin it. I have the Pioneer 8600 , and some infinity plates in the dash, It sounds ok , I just can't seem to get the bass I want. Don't really want to put in a sub , just get the best 6.5's I can get for the doors. I have aleady sound proofed all the doors with FatMat. Thanks for any suggestions................................ 

T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
You could probably ask steven from Adire about his Koda 6.1 set. You could also look at RE Audio's 6.5 XXX. These aren't cheap, the Adire's run about $349 off their website(adireaudio.com). I'm sure there a lot of other sets out there for less money.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Before you buy any more speakers can you tell me what kind of crossover you're running because you may be having a problem with cancellation at the crossover frequency between the sub and mids.
Paul
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with the above. I would go with RE. You don't even need the XXX.
Frankly though, I put my money on you continuing to be disappointed until you buy even a single 8" subwoofer.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Doc_kracken 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replys, I used to play drums in a very loud metal band so my hearing is probably shot, I am running straight from the Pioneer no XXX. This head seems to do quite a bit maybe I just need to mess with it and tweak some more. I had them put a 200 hz bass blocker on the Infinity plates in the dash, in retrospec, I think I should have left those off since the plates will go to 75hz. The sound is much , much clearer and brighter with the new head and dash speakers I was just looking for a way to improve the bottom end without a huge sub box. 

Thanks again, any suggestions are much appreciated !

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

Are you powering your speakers off the deck?  If you are you may never achieve the bass you want.  I have installed many 'factory replacement' systems, that is a system that replaces all the speakers in the factory locations, a new deck and a small amp.  You can make these systems sound very good, with power and planning.   To achieve satisfying bass you need POWER.  And the deck LIES.  Plain and simple the 50x4max 20x4 rms just is not realistic when you are trying to reproduce low, full bass and a full spectrum of sound.  Your speakers may need to be replaced, however; if you have already replaced your factory speakers with new ones I would not replace them again until I upgraded my power to those factory speakers.

The other approach I would take would be to add a small subwoofer and quit trying to get bass from my factory speakers.  Cross over the deck at 80hz highpass and get a 8 or 10 sub and small amp, you could do this for less then 300$.  A sealed 8" sub would take up almost no room at all and the wiring for the sub/amp would be much easier then rewiring for your factory locations.

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

Know what, give the complete rundown of your system.  I want to get a clear picture of what you have going on.  Include all audio upgrades, this way we can give solid advice.

Many years ago I help a buddy (who happens to be a drummer for a band) install a system and it had to be loud and hit hard and tight.  We used a set of soundstream components in his truck and a 10w6 sealed behind the seat.  Two soundstream amps, one for the components and one for the sub.  That was sweet...  That was a long time ago.

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

Since you're worried about space, I would get a pre-amped 8" or 10" Bass Tube.  A high quality bass tube costs <$200.           

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
Goo. No bass tubes.
Try a nice 8" or 10" in a .5ft^3 box. .5ft^3 is far from large.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Doc_kracken 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks, Heavilymdicated,

Here is what I've got:  4x Polk GxR6 ( cheap Polks in all doors ) , 2 x Infinity REF6402 ( CFP ) plates in the dash. I am using the Pioneer DEH 8600 MP to power all. This is all installed in a 2001 4dr Balzer LT. If I just wanted to get better speakers for the Front L&R what would you reccomend? The GxR6 ( 70-21kz  ) doesn't seem very impressive.

Would an upgrade to a better Polk or Infinity make a noticable difference? I also have  FAT MAT installed on all the doors inner and outer panels.

One last thing, there is a possibility that the polarity might be reversed on the door speakers. How much would that affect the base response?

Thanks very much for you comments and ideas....................................................

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic