icon

Sub placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ikessky 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2005 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

I have a '01 Buick Century that I am planning on doing a little work to.  It already has component speakers in the front (which I plan on replacing with something of a little higher quality) and I believe 6x9" in the rear deck.  Lately I've been toying with some ideas for where to put subs in this car.  Being that I frequently carry things in the trunk, I do not want a large box in there.  My preference in music is mostly hard rock/metal, so I don't really need too much power.  I was thinking of utilizing some of the wasted space and doing one of two options:

1)  Make custom door panels in the rear doors to house an 8" sub in each door.  They would be as low as I could fit them in the door panel so they are basically by the passenger's feet.

2)  Put a 10"-12" sub in the rear deck between the two factory speaker holes.  Do I build a small, shallow enclosure or run a "free air" setup?

In my first vehicle, which was a hatchback, I ran (2) 12" Fosgate XLC's in a bandpass box.  Although I liked the incredibly loud bass, I just can't do it with this car since I'm now a family man.  What are the positives and negatives of my different approaches?

Ikessky 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  

*bump*

I need some input on this, so I bumped it back to the top.

83malibuRida 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

Do you really want to do much cutting? b/c when the sheet metal on your rear deck is cut up it's really no turning around.

were you thinking of doing the 8's, the 12" or both?

Nick Scott
Ikessky 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
If I do the rear door idea, I would use (2) 8" or (2) 10" speakers.  If I do the rear deck idea, I would use (1) 10" or (1) 12".  Doing both the ideas would probably result in more bass than I'm looking for.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic