icon

Magnet Size

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

I would say go with some kicker l7's, they are a pretty good SPL sub, are fairly cheap, and if you can get them locally, you'll save on shipping. that Kove from part express is also a guarenteed winner.

<petergozinya> I don't understand the last two lines of your post

tackett834 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
Sweet....i think i will get that Kove.  Should i get two of them of just put 1 of them in a ported box?  What kind of amp will i need also? Thanks
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
tackett834 wrote:

Also I plan on pushing how ever many watts it takes to get a sweet thump.  Also like i said, i have an extended cab truck and i dont care to remove the back seat,  so i have plenty of room.

If you can't get a sweeeet thump with one, then something was done way wrong!  You will go into a completely different realm of cost if you get two.  Here's why:

The sub is 4 ohm DVC, which is a 2 ohm load with the coils in parallel.  You can power it with a dedicated one-channel amp at 800 watts.  If you use two, the wiring of the two will combine to a 1 ohm load....which means that the amp you choose not only has to have very high output but also be a high-current 1 ohm stable piece of equipment.  The power requirements of your truck will be increased considerably, too, with the need for larger wiring, bigger fusing, and a more robust alternator.  Enclosure is twice the size, too.

Maybe sometime down the line after you get more into the hobby, you can set your truck up for competition use.  But for the first time I would suggest getting one and doing a super install.  You will still possibly need an alternator upgrade, but you can see if that need arises.  You will also gain by searching the forum for opinions on wiring upgrades....read through the "ground" forum for tips......etc.

For amp choices, there are several....really many.....that I would be happy with.  Choose quality brands that are recommended on this forum.  Look for the "mono amp" class to power this sub, with output of about 500 watts into 2 ohms.  One that immediately comes to mind is the Hifonics BX1000D.  Good bang for the buck.  This particular amp is also capable of the high current 1 ohm load I spoke of.  You'll have more questions on subjects dealing with the setup and install after you've made your choices and received the gear, so keep taking advantage of this good company here.  We all like to put our thoughts out.

BTW, I would use this sub in a vented enclosure for the type of output you want.

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

Just a tack-on to what stevdart said...

If you use a ported enclosure get an amplifier with a subsonic filter because when you try to play below the tuning frequency you may damage your woofer.  The frequencies typically found on bass... ummm, "music"?... will often hit below the tuning frequencies of most subwoofers.  Unless you like replacing woofers...

The Hifonics BX1000D does have a variable subsonic filter, variable is preferred as it allows you to match up to your subs tuning frequency.

One of those woofers would POUND, I have no idea what you could do with 2.. Kids...

Get a alarm and please "boom" responsibly.

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-660

Your money will be in the amp to power it.

(It's a Kove Armageddon)

For those of you interested in building a TL, this'd be tha driver to try it with! This thing'd ROCK you A$$ OFF! I have already ordered two, as I need some subs for my home system!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
stevdart wrote:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-660

Your money will be in the amp to power it.

(It's a Kove Armageddon)

For those of you interested in building a TL, this'd be tha driver to try it with! This thing'd ROCK you A$$ OFF! I have already ordered two, as I need some subs for my home system!

That's a pretty high Fs on that thing, especially for a HT.  I'd recommend adding some mass to that cone to drop it some.  I'd rather have the low end than the efficiency.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

tackett834 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks a lot guys.  You have really helped me out here.  Last night I kept looking at the Adire Audio Tempest 15".  It seems really good too.  So now once again I am struck with a choice between the Tempest 15 and the Armageddon 12.  Which one would be louder in a vented box...?  Thanks guys

Also I am a big rap listener.....so a vented box would be correct...right?

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  

The Armageddon might be able to get a little louder since you have probobly have to give it around 700 to 800 watts continuous at least. A tempest would probobly be fine with 400 to 500 watts probobly though so you wouldn't have to spend as much on an amp.

tackett834 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

Ok.  Now how does this Ohm stuff work?  Say I am going to purchase for example a Dual Voice Coil 4Ohm sub.  Do I need a Mono-Channel amp or a 2-Channel amp?  Also on the specs of a 1000 watt mono amp, it says

1000 x 1 @ 1ohm      500 x 1 @ 2ohm        250 x 1 @ 4ohm

So does the amps have a switch to choose how many ohms or what?  Do you have to have the amp 4ohms for a 4ohm speaker? Thanks bunches

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

The speakers impedance determines the ohm load on the amp. Sorry thats not the best way to explain it but here are some diagrams of how you could wire a single 4 ohm Dual Voice Coil sub.

Magnet Size - Page 2 -- posted image.This is how you would wire the woofer in parallel.

Magnet Size - Page 2 -- posted image.This is how you wire it in series.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic