icon

Is 500WRMS overkill for this sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  

Ok right now i got a 12 JL 12w3v2 d2 its suppose to be able to take 300WRMS maximum from jl. But as ive heard many ppl saying on differnt topic thats i could put 400-600WRMS to this sub. Right now im feeding it 340WRMS and the amp is my friends and i need to give it back. anyways i got enough money to get a PG TANTRUM 500.2  Which will be able to do 500WRM @ 4ohms. (underrated its about 540WRMS). i just wanna know if its SAFE to purchase this amp to power the sub? coudl i blow this sub easily with the amp ? i just wanan get a better amp incase i plan on buyign a bigger sub later like a  adire brahma or a adire shiva. i wanan buy a amp once. SO what do you guys reccomend here?

specs on amp:

500 Watts x 1 @ 4 Ohms Bridged @ 14.4 Volts
250 Watts x 2 @ 2 Ohms Stereo @ 14.4 Volts

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
10,000 watts is not overkill if you adjust the gain correctly. Therein lies the rub. Adjust the gain CORRECTLY, and you will have no problems...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
how would i set the gain corectly using a DMM ? also from the manaul ont he amp it says if your deck has a high ouput signal in my case 4v preout. then the sensitivty setting needs to be lower on the amp. anywyas thanks let me know.
Blinden 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
actually, it wouldn't be overpowered, but it would be overkill, by definition.
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X579 HU
More on the way...
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

Its 250x2@2ohms? is it a d2 (dual 2 ohm) model? Cause if it is just use the amp in stereo.  I would say that at 500w, with aggressive listening habits, you stand a good chance of frying it up (with a side of bacon).  Me?  Im sure i could set it up just fine, but i cant advise you do this unless you are careful.

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
You should be fine as long as you set the gains proper;ly and the sub is not distorting. JL subs can usually take more watts then they advertise.
Ids748 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
yes it is a D2 ohm model . How can i fry the sub lol. And also someone on here said that they ran the sup i have with a zapco 600W *1 and never blew it. Can you guys advice on how to set gain using a DMM or analog meter.
Alpine CDA-9831
Infinity Perfect 6.1
Alpine MRV-T320
1 JL 12W3V2 D2
PG Tantrum T300.2
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

I've ran my 10w3 with a JBL 1200.1 bp @1200w into 2ohms, with gains set.  Its possible, very possible.  Do a search on the forum for it, ive heard it explained very well here before and im lazy.

Frying is just a slang i use for any number of ways a subwoofer could be destroyed, detonated, demolished, torn up, popped... uh, broken.

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
Ids748 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
ok if you say i can use this with ggains set properly i will be going ahead any buying this nice 500WRMS amp. Also ill do a search after i recieve the amp. If you could help find that thread it be greatly appreciated. im trying to study for a algebra exam and getting dsicrtacted lol.
Alpine CDA-9831
Infinity Perfect 6.1
Alpine MRV-T320
1 JL 12W3V2 D2
PG Tantrum T300.2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic