icon

Horn Not Working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Zilverado 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
{P class=Mso}So, can someone please explain to me how a relay functions in a horn circuit?{/p}{P class=Mso} {?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /}{/p}{P class=Mso}The horn on my ’92 Pathfinder stopped working the other day. The fuse is good and I can hear the switch in the steering wheel when I press, so I assume I am loosing power somewhere.{/p}{P class=Mso} {/p}{P class=Mso}I have a bank of relays under the hood – one of which is labelled “Horn Relay”. I removed the relay to check things out. It is a 3 pole relay.{/p}{P class=Mso} {/p}{P class=Mso}I checked for 12v power on all 3 poles of the relay when I pressed the horn - - nothing. Should this tell me something?{/p}{P class=Mso} {/p}{P class=Mso}So what does this relay do? Does it sound as if I am just not getting power to the relay? If so, I’ll try and check if I have power coming from the horn switch, to see if I can run a new wire.{/p}{P class=Mso} {/p}{SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-ansi-language: EN-CA; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"}Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.{/SPAN}{div style="width:240px;border-bottom:1px solid #eeeeee;margin-top:10px;margin-bottom:0px;"}{/div}{span style="font-size:.70em;line-height:1.2em;color:#000000;"}Zilverado, {BR /}Backyard Mechanic {BR /}1986 Chevy Truck & 1992 Nissan Pathfinder{/span}
Please do not copy and paste from a rich text editor like Microsoft Word. Please copy and paste from a plain text editor like Notepad.
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

OOPS... let's try again...

So, can someone please explain to me how a relay functions in a horn circuit?

The horn on my ’92 Pathfinder stopped working the other day. The fuse is good and I can hear the switch in the steering wheel when I press, so I assume I am loosing power somewhere.

I have a bank of relays under the hood - one of which is labelled "Horn Relay". I removed the relay to check things out. It is a 3 pole relay.

I checked for 12v power on all 3 poles of the relay when I pressed the horn - - nothing. Should this tell me something?

So what does this relay do? Does it sound as if I am just not getting power to the relay? If so, I’ll try and check if I have power coming from the horn switch, to see if I can run a new wire.

Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
1986 Chevy Truck & 1992 Nissan Pathfinder
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

OK, so I just noticed in the "Vehicle Information" on this site that the horn wire in my column is a (-) signal. This might explain why I didn't get a 12v signal when I tested the terminals, right? It might also explain what the relay is doing - reversing the polarity to the horns???

I assume the horns themselves need a 12v signal, since they only have a single conductor running in and they are grounded (I assume) to the vehicle frame.

Is there a way I can test all of this, including the relay?

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  

So, all is well again.

I talked to the Nissan parts people today and they told me what to look for. So I tested everything again, but couldn't get it going. So I pulled the fuse one more time and took a look - - - BURNED!!!

So I replaced the fuse and all is well. I'm not sure what happenned there, because I am pretty positive the fuse was fine when I first checked it. I may have fried it with my testing, who knows. Oh well, whatever it was, it's OK now.

Thanks.

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic