the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

a few Carbon Fiber questions guys

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
can you tell me anything about that process? does it involve expensive equipment, i'm at a shop, but we don't really focus much on the fab stuff, so i don't really have a budget for equip..  or is there a site that i can look at to learn more about the process? thanks for all your help so far
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
also, what is the difference between kevlar hybrids? i know the kevlar is suposed to have a lot more strength, but is it a lot harder to lay also? and the main reason i'm curious about this is because the kevlar is the only colored cf i have found, would it be just as easy to dye the clear resen? any recomendations here? and i looked up vacuming, it doesnt look THAT complicated, it basically says on that site you posted that the vacuming is just to get rid of excess resin, would that make it perfectly smooth for sure? sorry to ask so many questions, i'm just trying to not go into this blind. thanks for your hel
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
Forsfed 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
What you're saying isn't completely true. There are about three useful techniques that can be used to lay CF, all of which when done correctly will give you an absolutely beautiful piece of work. As a matter of fact, it's more about the finishing process that gives it the look.
The dash overlay I did was simply an overlay, no vacuuming involved. Overlays work very well and give you a nice result. The glass method mentioned earlier works awesome for flat strutcural panels. The thing vacuum bagging does better is that it makes your part as light as possible. Say you use 5oz of mat, the vacuum squeezes out all the excess resin you may have used so that the final piece only has a max of 5oz of resin. And actually when released from the mold it actually comes out looking like raw CF and would need to be gel coated for that deeper, glossy look. It really just comes down to what your after, looks, lightweight, functionality, etc to choose the right method. You also need to consider cost in the matter. Overlays are cheap because all you need is resin and mat. Vacuuming gets spendy because you need the pump, molds of all your parts, vacuum bags, filler material, the "sponge" material that soaks the resin, and the list goes on. Hope that helps put it in a little more perspective.
Forsfed 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
I was trying to quote dowace in that last post, sorry.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic