icon

how to make a box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
I havent made any boxes but i thought it would be fun to build one. I would rather build one and have fun doing it than paying a professional to do it for over $100. I have some knowledge on building them but would like a website that had step by step instructions. I also wanna know which supplies i would need. thankyou
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
Sancho 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.hometheatertalk.com/DIY_Projects/More_plans/more_plans.html 

i'm not sure if it helps you but anyway.....how to make a box -- posted image.

Head Unit:Alpine CDA 9835
6.5 MB Quart Pce 210
Amp:JBL 80.4
Amp:JBL 1200.1
Sub:Adire Brahma 12 MKII
bhawkins 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

I have built a few boxes and they are easy to make and improve the overall look of the install esp. if you make the front of the box custom fit the area that you are trying to fill.

Here is a website to check out: http://www.polkaudio.com/car/toolbox/subboxplans/SubConstruction.php

A few quick suggestions if you have a fabric store in your area you can usually find box carpet there and its cheaper than buying it elsewhere. (it is usually near the felts) I have found it at Jo Anns.

List of materials that you will need:

3/4 MDF
Cardboard (A good idea if you want to make a mockup of certain areas to see if it will fit before you cut it out on MDF. esp. if you want to make it look like the subs are part of the trunk)
Silicone Sealant
Speaker terminals and wire(check to make sure that they will still keep the box sealed some that you get at radioshack will have areas that air can escape.)
Box Carpet or Some Sort of Covering that you want. (I have used vinyl covering that looks like leather in my friends Blazer to make it look like the box is part of the back seat.)
Spray Glue (found at autozone)
Short Coarse Thread Drywall screws

Some hints are:

Always predrill your holes and countersink them.

Volume Volume Volume. Match the manufactures specs for the enclosure or get very close. (Volume when building is the interior dimension not the overall size.)
Staple the carpet down on a edge where it is not visible (or pull them out later) so that you can pull the covering tight. Have a friend help you an extra hand every once in a while helps esp. during assembly.
A big one is let the box dry before you use it!

If i remember anything else i will post another reply.

Hope this helps

Brian

wrathchild281 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
whatever you do i recommend you dont go to custom auto for anything. it'll cost you an arm and leg and angel isnt even real, i think hes the anti-angel.
AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
lol ok wrathchild
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.