icon

Head Unit in a jetta

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jaay 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

Im installing my friends sound system tomorrow in her jetta.. ive never put a headunit in a jetta before just wondering if i canget a heads up on how it comes out .. do i need to take the dash off or is it just clipped in and slides out?.. she isnt sure about the year she said newer than 96 but not brand new so prolly 96-01

thanks

The Faster The BEtter
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

if you look on the radio's face you'll see two small slots, now in order to get it out you will need some vw radio keys, the only thing is that theye are almost impossible to get becasue vw does not allow their techs to give them out anymore, but they are simple to make. get a pair of pioneer keys and file off the small notches at the tip of the keys (the ends you would insert first) making them flat.

now just take one and put it in the right slot and push it in as far as it will go (usually till the tab prevents it from going in any farther), the left side is tricky, when you insert that key angle it up, you have to catch the clip the best way to do this just by angling it up and feeling around and pulling on the radio at the same time, it wil take some practice but youll evetually get it and the radio will slide right out.

also be sure when you hook up the wiring harness for the new radio make sure that year doesnt require to leave the blue wires disconnected cuz you might freeze  the computer and cause the check engine light to come on, but since i dont know what year you have i cant tell you if thats required on your car or not, to be safe id leave any blue wires on the harness disconnected from the factory harness first and only connect them if you need to (ie required for a factory amp or something if you car even has one) IF you hear sound without the blue wires connected leave them alone! also if im not mistaken there's brown wires on the vw harness when you buy it, leave those disconnected as well!

i hope this helps, good luck!!

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
Jaay 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
thankyou
The Faster The BEtter
Javelin3o4 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

you can buy vw keys from some autoparts stores like autozone, or at crutchfiled. I bought mine from crutchfield with a pair of FORD keys for 5 bucks each.

Javelin3o4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
cool i didnt think they sold those at crutchfield
Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  
Yes and actually if you purchase a headunit from crutchfield they will send you the keys free of charge.  I installed a new Kenwood in my girlfriend's 03 Jetta which has the double sized opening which required two sets, and they actually included all 4 keys; with those keys it is a snap to get out.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
Javelin3o4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
yeah thats what i like about crutchfield. I would have customers come in with speakers and they would include the speaker adapters, or harness and stuff to complete the install.
slammedb5 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
Snap-On offers a complete radio removal kit containing VW/BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Ford keys. At $55 it's pricey, but it comes with a lifetime warranty and the keys are SOOO SMOOOOTH. Also, VW/Audi WILL sell keys at the service department, just expect to pay about $25 for  the pair, with 3-5 day wait period (special order).
EK Civic
security
no audio

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic