icon

Noise, but only when using multiple RCAs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jseldon 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

I've got a bit of an odd problem.  I'm getting engine noise when hookuping up more than 1 set of RCA's to my HU.   I have tested each cable individually and everything seems fine with no noise but as soon as I add a second set noise is a problem.   The headunit has 3 RCA out's (Front/Rear/Sub) and there is no noise on the first RCA regardless of which HU RCA out I'm using.    Any ideas what might be causing this?  

For refrence - my amp is grounded directly to the battery (in the truck in my Ion anyhow, I figured I might as well ground directly since it's right there.   I measured for both reistance and voltage between battery and HU ground and all seems ok there as well.   

Since each RCA works indepentandly of the others with no problems, I'm guessing this may be a problem with my HU but I'm looking for any other thoughts before I do a HU swap.

Thanks.

James 

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

without any other info, I might suggest taping your rca connections at the deck as they can sometimes touch each other inside the dash...  

bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
i would either agree with you that it is the deck or is some freak incident, where 1 pair of rcas doesnt pick up the engine noise, but when you add the extra rcas it does. try putting space in between each pair of rcas. if its not that, than its the deck. sucks, what kind is it?
jseldon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like the deck then, because the rear outs and the front and sub outs are on seperate sides of the deck, so shouldn't be an issue there.   It's a Pioneer DEH550MP deck.  Frustrating, but I'll try pulling the Alpine from my wife's van and see if that clears it up.   She only needs one set of outputs in her van anyhow :)

James

bullman96 wrote:
i would either agree with you that it is the deck or is some freak incident, where 1 pair of rcas doesnt pick up the engine noise, but when you add the extra rcas it does. try putting space in between each pair of rcas. if its not that, than its the deck. sucks, what kind is it?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
Didn't you post this question before and the general consensus was a faulty or poorly constructed head unit?
Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
i have had the same problem with alot of decks I have used!   I try not to exceed $300 for a deck, but I have had so many problems. espicially this kind. the rca's and not balanced and cause noise at the amp.   Big Pain.   Let us know if the alpine helps
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jseldon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2005 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

Nope, never posted anything about this before.   Also, I tried using my wifes deck this afternoon and had the same problem - I even tried making sure there was no interferance by running new RCA's directly back without putting them under the carpet just to be sure there was no onboard power source causing the problem.  I guess it's looking more and more like a fault in the amp; Either that or I have the worlds worst luck with two fault head units.   The odd thing being, I'd think it was something in the amp the noise would increase with volume, but it doesn't so at the moment I'm stumped as to where else to check.

DYohn wrote:
Didn't you post this question before and the general consensus was a faulty or poorly constructed head unit?

jseldon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

Another update -  the noise goes away if I turn the gains down to around 25% on the amp.  Unfortunatly I don't seem to be getting nearly the SPL expected at those levels however.   No clipped or distortion problems at higher gains, just engine noise.

James

bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
try running a new power wire to the deck and ground. if that doesnt work, seriously, try spreading your rca's about 6 inches apart each. and if that doesnt work, get some unshielded twisted rcas.
jseldon 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  

I'm running 4 gauge power and ground directly to battery.   All connections are solid and reconnected.  I have tried both twisted and untwisted RCA's, both giving me the same issue.   As I said, it's bizzare.

James

bullman96 wrote:
try running a new power wire to the deck and ground. if that doesnt work, seriously, try spreading your rca's about 6 inches apart each. and if that doesnt work, get some unshielded twisted rcas.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic