icon

RF sub and amp don't match?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
I recently bought the following 12" sub and amp, and I'm a little afraid that I was led the wrong way by the store employee (I haven't bought audio stuff in a while):
1. RF P112S4 sub
2. RF P3002 amp
The way the employee explained it to me, the sub is 150 RMS and 300 watts max. The amp is 300 watts, which is 150 X 2 RMS, or if I bridge it, it will put out 300 watts RMS to one sub. For some reason, this sounded ok to me, but now that I think about it, I don't think they match up. I'm running the one sub, which is 150 RMS, but the amp is putting out 300 RMS because I have it bridged.
Hmmm, so is this all wrong then? I'm afraid I'm now at risk of blowing the sub. Should I try to get a different amp or sub? He gave me the sub for $50 and the amp for $200, which wasn't a bad deal from what I thought.
Any thoughts would be great!
Thanks!
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
If you bridge the amp you will indeed get 300 watts rms but if you use the amp properly the sub will be fine. While a gain is not a volume control if you back it down a little it will be fine. Its always better to have to much power because you can just back an amp down.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
I just called RF, and the tech said that I can stick with what I have, I just can't blast it. If you ask me, that sucks...I don't want to have to worry about it the whole time.
He also suggested either getting a different sub (but I think the P3 that he mentioned is a lot more), or getting the P3001 amp instead.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  

Well, that’s a POS sub IMO anyhow.  You should have not paid more then 70$ (US) for that sub.  Ravendarat say true; set the gains properly and you have nothing or little to worry about. 

Personally, I would look into another subwoofer, if you want more, deeper, harder-hitting, clear bass.  At 300w rms you are good for what I believe is the most economical intersection of good sound, spl and value.  What I mean is; their are allot of good subs that are around 200$ and work best with 300w of power.

If you bought this from Best Buy or another retail chain and are really worried, go try to negotiate an exchange to a smaller amp or better sub.  After all, the sales person recommended a amp that is double the rms power of the subwoofer, and for most users that is a recipe for disaster.

What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I went back and the kid said it was his mistake, and has no problem letting me return it on wednesday (when the "cool" boss is around). He tried to sell me a different sub that would match the RMS, but he wasn't really too convincing. I think I might just return it completely, and keep looking.
I saw this deal at bestbuy this week for two 12s, a box, and a 3001 amp for $370 or so. Not even sure that would fit in my car :-)
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
what budget are you looking for and what vehicle is it going in this will help get you a better setup
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
Well, I was around $250, but now I'm think I'm going upwards to $350. It's going into a '92 Integra hatchback.
Any better ideas than the Best Buy deal?
EDIT: Hey, I just checked the bestbuy deal online, and it's the same exact deal, only like $50 cheaper...doesn't seem to be a bad deal.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

Online can usually beat the instore offers(Different platforms trying to move product,  but online has a little lower overhead cost so they can afford to drop some bucks.) Hoenstly, either go up towards Punch Stage 3 or Power Series if you are really set on this RF path. if not, get the hell outta BB, the rest is about worthless. For like an extra 400-500 bucks more I went to a specialty shop and went from 2 Punch Stage 2 12", P3001, and some 4 channel kenwood amp to a Memphis Belle 5 channel beast and 2 12" Kicker L5 Solobarics.

2 12" Punch Stage 2 Subs (4 ohm): $260

VS
2 12" L5 Solobaric Kicker (2 ohm): $330

Diference of: $70, power rating capability was tripled.(200wRMS to 600wRMS)

Spent a little bit more on the box(Didn't know how to build then, oh well) but that comes with that acoustastuff that goes in it as well plus it was built for the subs.

P3001 amp: $250 + THe Kenwood 4 channel: $250 Total: $500

VS
Memphis Belle 1300D: $850

Difference of $350 for a digital class channel, more stereo power, and enough to pump into my Kickers to get nasty.

Not to mention the time I took changing my opinion saved me from spending $200 on an fing digital 1.5 farad cap. Now I'm getting a 180 amp or maybe more for $180+shipping. Yeah, thank you there.

So $420 for a system that doesn't suck, not a bad deal. Now given, I got all 04 Product(I also saved $250 on my Eclipse head unit, which was cheaper than a comparable head unit at best buy from 04, the only thing that beat it was the price of my returned DEH-P8600MP marked down to $370) and it was on sale, but I'm content with being behind a year for the difference in what I got.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic