icon

Viper 791xv

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
grtn316 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

I just got a Viper 791xv alarm/remote start responder installed yesterday. I have a couple of questions and possible problems. First, I have to hit my truck pretty had to sound the alarm, and there is no warn away, no matter how hard i hit it. The installer told me in about a week it should be more sensitive...will the warn away engage as well?  Next problem, when I press lock, within 5 seconds I can press lock again and set a level of security ranging from 1-5..according to the manual. This does not work, the alarm just sounds after the second press within 5 seconds. Do I need additional parts, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
installer error. the warn away isn't there because the harness for the shock sensor is backwards. It sounds like you want the shock sensor a little more sensitive also, so I would bring it back to your installer and have them fix this.
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  

it sounds like the sensor is mounted/secured poorly.  i doubt the harness is "backwards".  across the harness there is 12v, full trigger, warn away, and status/ground.  the brain picks up either the lower warn away voltage or higher full trigger voltage.  it doesnt matter which one sends it, thats how multiplexing different sensor together works.  besides, the ground and 12v would be backwards thus not function.  DEI ports only fit one way too.  sensitivity generally doesnt need to be adjusted, especially up.  it seems to be more down than anything, unless you want the vibrations from the car starting next to yours to set it off.

moving on, nothing on a security/convenience install will become something its not after a week.  that statement doesnt even make sense unless the installer plans on it becoming a worse mount job.  warn away doesnt just appear after a while its there from the beginning.  its just a lower voltage form the shock impact that is sent to the brain.  I.E. have them properly remount it.

hitting lock, then lock again will not add levels of security.  it takes them away.  who sets their alarm to the max by pressing lock 5 times?  just press lock and walk away.  that sets all zones (that are installed such as a hood and trunk trigger).  the ignition is hooked up automatically, the doors better be hooked up, the hood and trunk may be extra parts/labor depending on where you go, and the shock sensor zone is just plain messed up.

MECP certified installer
slammedb5 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  
Check shock sensor loaction. Most big time elec instalers will zip-tie to the steering column, which in a truck, is a pretty stable place. Have them move it to a large wire bundle or some other location to maximize sensitivity. As for setting a level of security, do you mean zones?
EK Civic
security
no audio
sroth140 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
each trigger is a zone. notice when the alarm has been triggered, when you unlock the vehicle it chirps more than twice. the number of chirps tells you what zone was triggered. read the owners/install book to determine what each zone is, such as shock, hood, trunk, ignition, and doors.
MECP certified installer
aaronU 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
quick qustion while on the subject. most of the good installers out there would put a shock sensor on a large wire bundle?
sroth140 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
would they? possibly. it depends on the vehicle and past success/failure with it.
MECP certified installer
aaronU 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, just trying to get the most information that I can before I do my own. I am also installing on a truck (compact) and looking for other's successes/failures like you said.
grtn316 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the great info. Looks like im going to have to take it back to the installer and have him put the shock sensor in a better place..where would the best place be? When I push lock, then lock again it should set it in a different zone, but it doesnt...it sounds the alarm.  I prob wont use the zone buttons..but it seems as if maybe its not hooked up correctly either??? Even though Im not gonna use it...it should still work right?
grtn316 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yea...when I push lock. It flashes that sensor 1 and 2 are engaged. Would this be refering to the shock sensor and the mercury switch(underneath my hood)?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic