icon

In Theory?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtsooner 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, well, I'm going round an round about this being fairly revived into car audio. I've read lots of info about watts, rms, ohms, and multi-channel amps. So, here's my question?
In theory let's say you have a component system with a pair of midrange and tweeters that are rated at 4 ohms and have a power rating of approx. 150watts RMS max, as well as two 10" subs with single voice coils that have a max RMS of around 500watts at 4 ohms, can you run all these off one 4 channel amp, and exactly how much power would it have to have to sound great, not just be loud? It's confusing me trying to figure this seemingly simple thing out. I'm trying to avoid having a multiple amp application, and need some advice as to what to do. Thanks guys!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

Yes they can be all used off of one amp. The sound will be determined by the install and the box for the subs. 50 - 100 watts of power is a ton of power to operate component speakers for most systems. The same amount of power is also fine for a sub and can produce some great output if the box is done properly. As long as the gain setting is not too high and the system is used properly you should not have any worries about damaging the sub. The downfall to using an amp this small on big subs is that they might not deliver the output that you expect. A sub needs power in order to produce respectable output levels, keep this in mind.

If you do not have your subs yet, find a dvc 4 ohm version for them (I assume that you are going to use two subs). This will allow the subs to be wired into a series / parallel circuit and the amp can then be bridged to a 4 ohm mono load. This will double the amps power output going to the subs. This is a great way to use your amp in it's most effecient method and get the best bang for your buck.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

look for an amp that can be opperated in tri mode. then you could simply wire your svc subs in parallel and reduce them to a two ohm load. My four channel kicker (kx800.4)can do this and will send 100 to each front channel at f ohms and 400 to the subs, bridged to two ohms, you may not want that setup, but it is an additional option

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
The issue here with what you have described is that very few 4 channel amplifiers are stable to 2 ohms mono. If it is not an amp that is designed and engineered to operate at 2 ohms mono, the heat output will most certainly send the amp into thermal protection and if the protection circuitry is not up to the task, will shorten the lifespan of the amp. 99.99% of 4 channel amplifiers can operate in trimode.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic