icon

98 Ford F150 with CD changer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cjk440 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

I've got a 98 F150 with a factory AM/FM Cassette headunit and a 6 disk factory changer.I want to install a CD head unit but keep my ford factory changer too.

From what I understand ford changed wiring harness plugs sometime in 98. I checked mine and it looks like a the early style. Heres a pic of my radio.

[IMG]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/CJK440/100_0961.jpg[/IMG]

Now, I planned on simply finding an early plug CD player with changer controls but I heard that Ford never offered a CD player with changer controls with the early style plug. I can find many factory radios with the new plug though.

Does anybody offer an adapter (or can I make one??) to allow me to use a newer plug factory CD player with changer controls and have it work good in my truck (and still have my changer work)??

Is there anyway to make an aftermarket CD player work with my factory changer??

Cjk440 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
98 Ford F150 with CD changer - Last Post -- posted image.
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
I am somewhat unsure of what you are asking, but here is some answers to questions I think you asked. If they answer the wrong this, I apologize.
First, as far as I know, you can not hook up a factory CD changer to an aftermarket deck. There are adapters to hook aftermarket CD changers to factory decks though.
Secondly, I have a 97 Explorer that has a factory CD changer with plugs on the back of the radio that look like the same on your radio. If you want to just put in an aftermarket CD player, go to Wal-Mart and buy the Ford wiring harness. It includes all 4 different adapters so you can't go wrong with it regardless of the harness your specific vehicle has.
Hope this helps,
Evan
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
You can't control your factory changer from an aftermarket CD player. If you really want to switch to an aftermarket radio and have a changer also just buy an inexpensive cd player from some one like Alpine and add a changer to it.
Cjk440 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry, I was a bit confused myself.

I had 2 questions. 1 was if I can use an aftermarket CD player and still use my CD changer. I see now that this is not doable.

But my other question was; could I use a newer OEM CD player that has CD changer controls in my truck (ford changed the plug styles sometime in 98 and I have the early one otherwise the radios are look the same, even the face plate).

Here is a pic of the later style plug off of a CD Player with changer controls.

98 Ford F150 with CD changer - Last Post -- posted image.

Does anybody make an adapter to allow me to hook up this new style radio into my old style harness???

Cjk440 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  

Bump???

Does anybody make an adapter to allow me to hook up a 99+ style radio into my old style harness???

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic