icon

When checking fuses ...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kparkk 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2002 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

When checking for blown fuses under the dash panels, side panels, and under hood.... Is using a test light safe not to cause damage to the cars sensitive equipment such as BCM .. or other .... about how many amps does a test light uses if anyone might know.

what does BCM stands for by the way ?

securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2002 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
no ,use a multimeter always your best bet, and bcm stands for body control module.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2002 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

Think if it like this would you add a resistor to a wire you had no idea what it does ,or maybe what if if it was on an ecu(car computer)?? Probably not, i know i would not, well a test light adds a lot of resistance to a circuit compared to a dmm wich is a verry small resistance,now ifyou were testing a sensitive piece of equipment that cannot take the added draw then you will hurt something with a test light, so being that a meter adds a lot less resitance  there is less chance if any to harm anything. Bottom line use a dmm because test lights are no good in newer computerized vehicles and you cant do anything more than test voltage with a test light you can do a lot with a dmm.

kparkk 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys, that makes sense.

go2pac 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

Depends on the test light. The Snap-on test light I use only draws 40ma from a +12 volt source which is the same as 3 leds drawing current or from a 5 volt source would draw about 17ma which is the same as 1 led current draw.

Now i have a friend who HAD a test light from a auto parts store and i showed him the difference from a Snap-on one from his. He argued with me saying test lights are all the same until i showed him how much more his test light would draw current compared to the Snap-on one. Well his test light had drawn way over 1amp. Now he uses a LED test light and also bought a Snap-on comparable one.

Karl
Pacific Accessory Corporation
Mobile Audio Interfacing Equipment
Connecting You to Your Music Since 1976
iworkatzips 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

OK, so if you were working on a ford vehicle, lets say a 94ish Explorer. There are about 5 different yellow wires for 12v in the ingnition column. How would you test with a test light to find which one was correct. All of the wires with test voltage but sometimes only 2 of them will read a true 12v. This is why it is very important to use a DMM. "We always say look twice, drill once" we should take the same care with wires and circuits. It's worth it to do it right the first time.

Brent, Car Audio Manager, Generation Sound

go2pac 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

I think kparkk was asking about testing for fuses and not testing wires in ignition column with a test light.When checking fuses ... -- posted image.

Karl
Pacific Accessory Corporation
Mobile Audio Interfacing Equipment
Connecting You to Your Music Since 1976
kparkk 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

go2pac,

but aren't some of the wires in ignition column connected to some of these fuses?  If not ... then do you mean thats its ok to use a test light?

After reading what other replied .. it made sense.. now I am confused again.

Thanks for your clarification in advance.

kparkk 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

go2pac,

but isn't some of the wires under the ignition column connected to fuses that I might be testing?  If not, then u think its ok to use a test light on fuses?

I understood what other guys have replied .. but you got me confused again

thanks in advance for your clarification.

Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
In most cars it is ok to test ignition wires with a test light.  The real problem with using a test light to test wires is if you get the wrong wire.  Especially if its an airbag wire.   I can't begin to imagine the harm of testing fuses with a test light.  I am sure some of you will try to argue against it :D  But I guess as they say "better safe then sorry". 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic