icon

SQ setup, a little challenge for you guys

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gumbi_12 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

Ok its has come time to completely overhaul my current setup in my car.  I have a 98 Dodge Stratus ES.  I currently the type-r 6.5 components in the doors and I had the 6x9s in the back but I disconnected to put more power to the 6.5s.  For a sub I have a 10 sealed in the trunk.  Currently the sub amp and 4 channel amp are audiobahn and so is the 10.  I got them before I became a member here.  Yes I had confession, only 200 Hail Marys left.SQ setup, a little challenge for you guys -- posted image..  Anyway the system has been ok.  Now Im not looking to bash Audiobahn, I just would like to upgrade.  I have liked the sound from my components and really they are the only thing I want to keep.  My current head unit is a Kenwood x817.  I know you guys like alot of information inorder to help so here goes.

Here is the order I wanted to build in.  I would get everything at the same time if I wasnt going to school( Is it bad that I think my funds would be better used in upgrading my system than furthering my education).

• 1.) Front - I was thinking about keeping my current components and adding another set in kick panels.
  • 2.) Sub - I am thinking either a 10 or 12.  Im not sure whether sealed or ported.  I dont want to be heard a mile away. 
  • 3.) Replace Amps - If I should replace these first let me know.
  • 4.) Headunit - By this time my current will probably be dead.

Budget:  I have no problems with Ebay, we are great friends.

• Speakers: up to $450
  • Subs: up to $500
  • Amps: 600-800 for both - if this is too little let me know, and I will just get them individually so I can spend a little more
  • Headunit: 450max

This budget of course is based on what I would save for. No Im not rich.   I am hoping to start on my next  paycheck or so.  I will be installing things myself, as I did with my current setup.  First time to build box and would be first time kicks( if these turn out bad then I guess I will have them made (What is good priceto have these done) I have an 4 gauge from the battery, do you guys think Ill need to upgrade.

I live in Fort Worth, Tx and between here and Dallas I have quite a few places I can listen to things at. 

Big stores: Tweeter,  CarToys, of course Best Buy, Circuit City.

Brands that shops have: Adire(According to their site), Eclipse Subs, Diamond CM3, JL - of course,  Cadence

If anyone has any other places around here please let me know.  To me if Im going to throw down the money I want to do the research. 

Oh yea almost forgot, I listen to just about everything. Rap(Lil Jon, Tupac, etc..), Rock/Alt( Counting Crows, Seether, Hendricks, Steve Vai, Santana, acoustical guitar),of course there is the girlfriends selection (Alanis, Switchfoot, U2, Sheryl Crow ). 

Thanks for reading this long request. I appreciate, and thank you guys for sharing your knowledge (I have learned quite a bit from you). thanks in advance for taking this challenge

Brian

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

Here's what I'd do:

1) Move your current components to the kicks.  Install some 6.5"+ midbass drivers in their current locations in the door.
2) Go with a nice sealed 12" or 15"
3) Get a 4-channel amplifier 50x4ish will be great for the midbass and components.
4) Buy an appropriate sub amplifier for the driver and application you pick. 

If I had a $500 sub budget I would get the Brahma 15" or Eclipse 15".  I would use a sealed box for SQ.

Memphis Audio seems to provide a really nice value/price point right now on amplifiers.

Lots of drivers can work as the midbass.  I'd probably go with the Koda 6 drivers. 

Head unit.  Eclipse is my suggestion.  Others like Nak and Alpine.  Listen to some and see what you think.

Good luck!

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
  I wouldn't go with a 15" sub unless you only listen to rap, which you say you don't.  I'd go with a 12 since you listen to some rap, and since your willing to buy a high quality sub it shouldn't be too boomy.  I'd get a JL W6 or a diamond audio.  I have a Diamond TDX 12D4 and I love it.  Sealed box, hits low and pretty hard in my civic sedan.  I like that idea about the mids in the doors, thats how I'd do it but some peole aren't willing to go without rear speakers.  It just depends on you.  I've had good experiences with Alpine, JL, and Arc Audio amps, for both bass and highs.  Headunits - I use an Alpine, if something were to happen to it (god forbid) I would look for an Eclipse or Another Alpine.  An Eclipse has more security benefits, but I always like the features with Alpines.  I think they're displays look nice, and they have a great file search feature which allows you to browse through mp3's by file name, so you can find the song you want easily.  The Eclipse and the Alpine head units each have nice rotary nobs, but I dropped my faceplate and it dragged across concrete, so now the shiny aluminum nob is all scratched up.  Eclipse's don't have removable faceplates, cause the decks are coded and people don't steal them.  I wouldn't recommend going back to audiobahn, but you'd know better than me.  I've only had experience with some of there highs, which I hated, but I've heard bad things about all their stuff. 
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

specialblendj wrote:
  I wouldn't go with a 15" sub unless you only listen to rap, which you say you don't.  I'd go with a 12 since you listen to some rap, and since your willing to buy a high quality sub it shouldn't be too boomy. 

What? Since when is a 15" driver "rap only?"  Since when is a 15"  more "boomy" than a 12"?  A good 15" in the proper enclosure will sound just as "tight," "hit" just as hard, or whatever, as a 12".  If you've heard boomy 15" drivers then you've either listened to people that designed them that way or didn't know what they were doing - or a little bit of both. 

Find me a reputable reference that says, "15" drivers are boomier than 12" drivers.  You won't be able to.

bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
ill agree with kfr with either the brahma or eclipse. do not get a 12w6, i repeat do not, i gave up my eclipse for my jl and i would cry myself to sleep every night if i knew how to. do listen to a couple of image dynamics subs as they sound amazing. i listened to 2 today and kicked myself in the ass again for getting my jl. for amps i would get in order of sq to really good price, mmats, highphonics, jbl. oh and us accoustics though i ahve heard very little of their stuff. but have heard amazing things about them.
go for an eclipse, pioneer, or alpine deck. pioneer decks are pretty shotty unless you get the very high end stuff.
wouldnt it make more sense to put 8's in the doors for a smother transition from the comps to the sub/s?
one other thing, can anybody suggest a site or video that is a good tutorial on fiberglassing? my kickpanels look like somebody took a dump on my truck floor and i stuck my comps in it. sounds good but looks pretty bad. guess im not skilled in the art of fiberglassing
kfr01 
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
lol - check out the fiberglassing section of this site. Some knowledgable people in there. I've done it twice - it sounds like your first try turned out like my first pair. :-) It got easier the second go around.
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
you know, the sad thing is im on my 7th try. oh well, i know a guy who does them extremely well who wants to do them for me. i just dont want to be told "i told you so." though they arent quite as bad as my first attempt at veneering a pair of bookshelfs. thank god i never connected the kicks to the panel other then screwing them on. maybe that is my problem?
gumbi_12 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic