icon

97 cadillac deville bose system.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shingon 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

I want to replace my stock radio on my cadillac, i want to konw how hard is to add an aftermarket radio to it, my deville has the bose system, how do i bypass the amp?  why do i need to bypass it?  i was thinking of just replacing all the stock speaker, and powering with aftermarket amps,  do i need to run new wires to the speaker, or can i used the stock speaker harness,  will it work if i just  unplug factory amp and run new wires to the speaker, also is this true, do i have 2run all wire from the rear of car (acc,power,antena,etc), to the headunit.  i guess this isn't easy, but you guys are the experts here i tryed couple of shop, but they do know sh*t, they stil want to charge me 150 , i want to do it myself, but want to make sure what the easiest way to do it, here are my plans on the sytem, front speaker will be powered by headunit, rear doors and rear speaker powered by 4 channel amp, two subwoofers powered by 2 channel amp. thank for any help.

the_wide_one 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

From what I rememeber the "tuner" is in the trunk and you will have to run from the front to trunk..

amplified ~usually there are ways to get to both sides of the amp (in and out) so you can do most of the bypass at the amp, if its on each speaker then its a matter getting the wires that go to the amp or unit

either way if you have never done it    its gonna be a while, and may not be easy to you

installers charge what they can get 150 isnt an overcharge in most cases cause they get a percentage 30-50

so look at it from thier eyes too   and to the  "" they dont know $#%^"   well...   ask a person that gets paid to do what you wanna have them give you the answers free and see what kinda response you get..   probly the same

Sion POW
shingon 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
if i knew some one who really  was an expert in audio install, i wouldn't mind paying to get my head unit install, but i had previously experience with this guys at the audio shop, i know 150 isn't a lot, but when you pay 150 to a person that doesn't know what they are doing it really is a waste, thank for your info, i want to know as much as possible about this.
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
Well in that vehicle it is recommended that you relocate the factory head unit or there will be problems with the vehicles computer. You will have to us some interfacing to integrate the Bose amp with the head unit, and then wire speaker and antenna to the back of the vehicle. you should be able to find power and ground at the harness in the front. These cars suck to work on and if they are only charging 150 bucks to do it, that is a pretty fair price in my eyes, as long as the installer knows what he is doing.
Jazzy
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
shingon wrote:

I want to replace my stock radio on my cadillac, i want to konw how hard is to add an aftermarket radio to it, my deville has the bose system, how do i bypass the amp? why do i need to bypass it? i was thinking of just replacing all the stock speaker, and powering with aftermarket amps, do i need to run new wires to the speaker, or can i used the stock speaker harness, will it work if i just unplug factory amp and run new wires to the speaker, also is this true, do i have 2run all wire from the rear of car (acc,power,antena,etc), to the headunit. i guess this isn't easy, but you guys are the experts here i tryed couple of shop, but they do know sh*t, they stil want to charge me 150 , i want to do it myself, but want to make sure what the easiest way to do it, here are my plans on the sytem, front speaker will be powered by headunit, rear doors and rear speaker powered by 4 channel amp, two subwoofers powered by 2 channel amp. thank for any help.

OK, let's break things down a little bit, and answer the questions one at a time...
Adding an aftermarket will not be really tough as far as the installation is concerned. There are several manufacturers of kits for the dash... That's the easy part...
The amp(s) are dedicated digital amplifier modules right AT the speaker, in the pods with the speaker, and you COULD replace the stock speaker with an aftermarket one, but the amp is rated at X watts @ 1/2 ohm or so. The Bose speakers are like 3/4 ohm drivers, and if you try to drive a 4 ohm speaker with those amps, you will get pretty much NO power out of them... like around 12 watts or so. Also, the amps have a fixed EQ curve built into them, to match the interior of the car, and the EQ curve is to fix the CRAPPY response of the Bose drivers, and make them "sound good". Try to run that EQ curve on a reasonable speaker, and it's going to (not might) GOING TO sound like Madonna crawling up Michael Jackson's ASS!!! Welcome to the GM/Delco/Bose partnership. Honestly, 150 bux seem a pretty good deal for a shop to remove a head unit, tear into the doors, install speakers, and run all new wires to the doors and rear deck. Take it to them... likely it wll be a few hour job for a shop familiar with the car, where you might fight with it for a whole weekend...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
the_wide_one 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

I second letting them do it for the pain in the @ss percentage for dollar

BUT if you have all day for 2 days or so   get in there and get-er-done..   just be ready to toss the remaining pieces in the back seat to get to work the day after

look for another shop and have them match the price if your not confident they have a clue

Sion POW
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
One more thing you may want to consider. If you are going to run a 4 channel amp, power the front speakers with the four channel and not deck power or your imaging is going to be horrible. the music will all come from the rear if you dont. It really depends on how you like to listen to your music, but it drives me nuts to hear the rear speakers more than the front speakers.
Jazzy
shingon 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
i getting i lit bit confused here, do i really have to used the stock amp, i don't want to used it, if i can get ,power, acc,ground,etc. from the front harness i don't have to worry about the bringin any wires from the rear, i don't need antena, don't really lisent to radio and for the speaker i will replace them with aftermarket speakers, i will run new wires to them from aftermarket amps directly to speaker,  so will this work? another thing what about relocating the stock head unit, this means keeping it? will this really affect on the car's computer, i don't think it operates other parts of the car,  thanks for the help.
shingon 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
i getting i lit bit confused here, do i really have to used the stock amp, i don't want to used it, if i can get ,power, acc,ground,etc. from the front harness i don't have to worry about the bringin any wires from the rear, i don't need antena, don't really lisent to radio and for the speaker i will replace them with aftermarket speakers, i will run new wires to them from aftermarket amps directly to speaker,  so will this work? another thing what about relocating the stock head unit, this means keeping it? will this really affect on the car's computer, i don't think it operates other parts of the car,  thanks for the help.
tech460 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  

You have probably one of the most problematic electrical nighmare cars out there. This is the first vehicle GM implemented class 2 data on. What I would do is this, remove the radio from your vehicle and go for a good drive and check every function in your vehicle, EVERYTHING!   Especially shift patterns and cruise control. If all is good, which I doubt, remove it and hardwire the deck. If not, relocate the deck. Now as far as the amp goes, that is class 2 data also and cannot be used as it is controlled by the computer brain. No problem for you as you are using aftermarket amps on your highs except you wanted just the rears on highs which I disagree with for sound quality. I would put the four channel on all highs and replace the speakers in the front at least with new ones. If you are correct for having four speakers in the rear, measure them for impedance. If they are Bose then they are most likely low impedance and you have to be careful with how you hook them up. If they are between one ohm to four ohm. hook them up in series to the rear channels of the amp. Four ohm or higher hook them up in parallel like you would  with aftermarket speakers.  Now if you want chimes, which I doubt, you would need to do more work to activate them. Post back if you do.

FYI. Metra makes a piece to interface these class 2 systems to keep the amps and data integrity with no relocation involved. Call them if you need more details as I have not used one yet. Funny as I live in the retirement state.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic