icon

Subs making strange noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
My friend has 2 MA Audio MA1250W subs. They are 4 ohm SVC. They are making a strange noise. It almost sounds like there is a hole in the cone and air is blowing out, its a muffled noise, sort of like distortion, but not exactly. The subs still sound good otherwise, they still put out a lot of bass, but you cant really hear it to over the noise, you can just feel it. No matter how low or high the gain is set, or how high the volume is they still do it.
He had them wired up pretty strange, it was how somebody told him to do it. I re-wired them so the + on the sub went to the + on the amp, then - on sub to - on amp, pretty simple. Afer that they sounded worse if anything. Does anybody have a clue whats going on??
audeogod 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
If you think it's air blowing out, turn off the system and push on each cone(not too hard or deep) to see if you still hear any noise.  If it's air, you would either hear or feel some blowing from somewhere, most likely around the edge of the frame if he didn't use a sealant around the speaker where it attaches to the box.  I always used weatherstripping around the back side of the sub.  It's made out of foam and seems to serve pretty well to seal it off.
audeogod
92 Chevrolet Cheyenne 1/2 ton truck
Pioneer DEH-41
Eclipse 2-way coaxial 4x6's in dash
Eclipse 3-way coaxial 6 1/2's in doors(cut to fit)
Pioneer GM-X332 amp bridged to Kicker 8" sub
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
i personally like silicone to seal my boxs. wherever the leak is slop some silocone on it and everything will be ok. if there is a hole in the cone, put a thin layer of clear silicone on the cone. its going to make the cone a bit heavier and more stiff, so it will affect the sound but unless you want to replace the cones or even the whole drivers, that is a pretty good and inexpensive way to fix them. most likely it is the box, so just slap silicone all over it and around the driver when you put it back in and go from there. oh and if done well, you will need to break the seal from the sub and box with a blade to get the sub out.
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe a more detailed description of the sound would be helpful..would it happen to be a hollow sound?
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
pimpincavy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
Yes. its sort of a hollow sound, sort of like the sub is trying to hit a note, but it cant. Only thing is, it does hit the note, I can FEEL the bass, but the sound is all messed up. It sounds ok inside the car, its only when the trunk is open and im standing in back of the car that its obvious something is wrong. I dont think there is any sealing problem becasue both subs do the exact same thing. Possibly the box is not the right spec?? My friend bought the whole thing as a package; subs, amp (also MA) and box. Im not sure how big the box is, but it does look a little small.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

It sounds ok inside the car, its only when the trunk is open and im standing in back of the car that its obvious something is wrong.

No matter how low or high the gain is set

Keep the trunk closed and stay in the car.  And quit messing around with that gain!           lol

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like your sub may be bottoming out..are you ported?
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
Don't use silicone where you mount the sub. Just put some weatherstripping around it. Silicone is going to be a biotch to get off of the sub (good luck removing the sub from the box).
pimpincavy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
They do sound like they are bottoming out, but they dont look like they would if the gain was turned up to much. The box is not ported. Even when the subs are barely moving the noise persists, thats what I was trying to say when I was talking about the gain.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2005 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Are these subs designed for a sealed box? They may need to be in a ported box. If not, measure it and calculate the airspace and determine whether it is correct or not.
'85 Toy
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic