icon

How to mount FG Box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SupaCrazy 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  

Hello all, I am looking at all of the installs and I want to try my first FG box but I had a couple questions, first when building a box into a courner of a trunk how do you mount it in place so when you make a sharp turn it doesnt fly around in the trunk? second, do you need to put bondo on the outside of the box or can you just sand and paint the box when the last layer of glass is cured? last should i mask off the area that is being FG and also lay down aluminum foil for easy of removal?

Thanks this forum has already helped alot.

Jim

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
You can bolt it to the car just make sure you use a large washer inside the box so it doesn't pull through. I won't say that it is impossible to get the glass smooth enough without bondo but it is difficult, and a waste of time. Bondo sands 1000 times better than glass and will give you that mirror finish. As for your last question, yes.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

In my instance, the one FG box I made for the corner of my experiment 86 Accord, it had some sort of notch sticking up in that corner.  When I made the box, I didnt really pay much mind to it and glassed over it.  I then realized once the glass cured, it was sort of locked in place.  So after the whole enclosure was finished, it was a pain to pop into place, but it doesnt move around at all.  I know some people drill holes inside the enclosure and secure it from the inside to the walls etc. of the car.

Im a fiberglass whore!!
SupaCrazy 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

Okay i think that should help, I am going to start on my truck thi weekend and see how good i am then im going to do my friends truck if i do well. Thanks

Jim

hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
a little advice would be to do a practice box first and not expect it to be the final one you put in your car, unless you have experience with fiberglass. i just finished my first trial box and it was horrible. i want to do a fg box for my car but am waiting to get in more practice
keesimo 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
can you just use bondo to build a box and still get that fiberglass finish?    email me at keesimo@aol.com for info
Stanford1621 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
I think bondo is pretty prone to cracking just using it by itself

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic