the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2001 ford escape keyless entry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  

For the keyless entry portion of the vehicle are relays required? I know that the wires need to see a (-) pulse and the unit has the capability to do this. But it differs from one tech sheet to the next. One just says - pulse locks and - pulse unlocks. But the other says that it needs to see a chasis ground in order to work. Which is correct?

Thanks for any help.

MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
Bmnicolosi 
Copper - Posts: 173
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
if the unit will allow for negative pulse, all you do is hook up the lock and unlock wires respectively.  the chasis ground is what you would use to "program" the unit for negative locks. i.e. if you have a positive pulse you hook to 12 volts, negative hooks to ground.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
FORD, ESCAPE, 2001, Power Lock, pink/white
Lock requires a negative trigger thru a 1,000 ohm resistor. Unlock is a negative trigger. Must use relay on both.
The GEM (generic electronic module) is behind the center console on the floor. Pull off the black panel to the right of the gas pedal, there will be carpet covering it. The plugs face the driver side of the vehicle.
close
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.2001 ford escape keyless entry -- posted image.
jaurora 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

See this is the issue,

once again I have two different answers. I really dont care about words from tech sheets right now. Has anyone compleated the task of hooking up a keyless entry in this specific vehicle. I dont mean to sound rood, but I keep getting the same response. 1 says yes and 1 says no. This is by no means of my first keyless more or less ~50. But I am getting 2 types of responses for this. I think I will just spend the $6 and hook up the relays anyway. If I need them I need them and if I dont oh well the customer has relays!

Jeremy
jaurora 
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

See this is the issue,

once again I have two different answers. I really dont care about words from tech sheets right now. Has anyone compleated the task of hooking up a keyless entry in this specific vehicle. I dont mean to sound rood, but I keep getting the same response. 1 says yes and 1 says no. This is by no means of my first keyless more or less ~50. But I am getting 2 types of responses for this. I think I will just spend the $6 and hook up the relays anyway. If I need them I need them and if I dont oh well the customer has relays!

Jeremy
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
Use the relay and get the job done.
You alarm unit can't supply enough ground ampage.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.2001 ford escape keyless entry -- posted image.
circus boy 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
you need ground through a relay with a 1000 ohm resister for unlock,just did one last week
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
IF your alarm is just negative output, no worries, I just use the direct outputs. If you have a unit that does both + and - you have to use relays.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2005 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
Shaugn, I think I see what he is talking about here. The issue with the relays is simple. Some alarms do not have built in relays and they just don't have enough current to drive the lock and unlock properly. This is where the relays come in. Now if the unit does have built in relays (like most keyless entry only units do), then the additional relays are not necessary. Without diving into it, the resistor on the unlock does sound right IIRC.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jaurora 
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  

Well,

The unit I installed had power transistor outputs. I used relays just incase and they worked fine. I dont know if it would of worked the other way or not. I used this unit plenty of times and just the (-) output on the lock and unlock wires work fine. It is just that the sheets said to use relays. So rater than doing things twice I just used realys and no issues came about.

When in doubt use relays!!!! Im going to stick with that theory for now on! Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Jeremy
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic